I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread UV protection
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: August 31, 2013 04:10PM

Some threads seem to fade from the sun rather quickly. Are there any CP's or finishes that protect against this? Thanks to all who reply.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread UV protection
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2013 04:23PM

No. The clearer the finish, the quicker the thread will fade.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2013 05:18PM

Yes!! Perma Gloss has the highest UV protection of any other finish! If you put another say epoxy finish over it, then that finish will yellow. Perma Gloss was tested extensively in the Florida sun for over a year with no discoloration. I did my own tests on it by putting both white wraps on black blanks and also on yellow, and white blanks for 1 year in my back yard. They were exposed to sun, wind, rain, and show for that period of time. NO YELLOWING!!

Date: August 31, 2013 05:31PM

That's the finish, not the thread under the finish. PermaGloss doesn't block UV and thread under PG will fade much faster than thread under a yellow/brown epoxy.

PermaGloss doesn't contain any UV inhibitors - it doesn't need them due to the type make up involved. Epoxies, due to the amine hardeners, will all yellow even with UV inhibitors. In fact, the chemicals that are added to these products to inhibit UV are themselves yellow. They aren't there so much to keep the finish clear, but to keep it from structural degradation.

That's the irony - the clearer the finish the faster the threads will fade. The more amber or yellow the finish, the less quickly the thread color will fade.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 31, 2013 05:46PM

In my limited experience....it is the metallic threads that fade the worst. Very color dependent.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 31, 2013 06:16PM

Tom, that is absolutely not true. I tested it for years. No fading and no yellowing. I don't post anything about this finish that I don't know through extensive testing.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 31, 2013 06:51PM

ThreadMaster would be my choice. Read up on it in the link.

[roddancer.com]

Date: August 31, 2013 07:01PM

You misread my post. PermaGloss will not yellow. It stays water white clear, forever. But, it has no UV inhibitors in it. Doesn't need them. Thread under PG will fade, however, as there is nothing to block UV from reaching it.

Date: August 31, 2013 07:59PM

You are probably right about not having UV inhibitors. Years ago when Ralph first had me do the testing for him I tested red thread, black, dark blue and many other colors on different colored blanks and after 1 year totally exposed to weather, I compared those wraps to the original spools of thread. No Loss of Color. Every epoxy finish that I compared it with had significant yellowing and was glazed in appearance. Except for Dura Gloss, which unfortunately is no longer made. It compared very favorably with Perma Gloss. Dick Posey of Lamiglas was kind enough to provide me with dozens of scrap blanks to do the testing, and I probably used about 1,000 yard of thread in the tests. Before Dura Gloss came on the market, Ralph had me test over 20 different variations of resin and hardener. We were trying to get it bubble free and easy to use. Hours and hours of testing in between my being able to make rods.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 31, 2013 09:59PM

A test for fading in the Northwest is like putting it in a closet......................................never any sun!

Date: August 31, 2013 10:17PM

Funny!!:>) One thing that many people don't realize or know, is that UV rays easily penetrate clouds. That is why you can get sunburned on an overcast day. Snow reflects UV rays and that is why you can get what some call a snow or wind burn.. It is actually the reflected UV rays that are even intensified, just like getting a worse sunburn when on the water than when you are on land. Reflected UV rays. It isn't heat that causes fading or yellowing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2013 01:30PM by Randolph Ruwe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster