I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
razor blades for cutting tags, ect.
Posted by: howard hodges (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 20, 2013 09:03PM

Ok guys, this may sound silly but I can't find a single edge razor blade that will stay sharp to cut tag ends. Seems like I am going thru way too many . Is there a brand of blades that is better than the others? I'm lucky to get one or two rods out of a blade until I'm sawing the thread into. I'm not using the blade for anything but cutting thread. Any help is appreciated.
Howard Hodges

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: razor blades for cutting tags, ect.
Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2013 09:09PM

Razors are cheap - I buy them by the hundred and throw them away when they don't cut clean

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2013 09:32PM

I go through two to three blades per rod build. Depends if I use metallic thread. Can't stand fuzzes from a dull blade.

Tom

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 20, 2013 09:40PM

Try a scalpel it's far sharper. You will still change them often though. Also, a double edge old school razor blade is sharper than a single edge blade.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 20, 2013 09:42PM

I generally dedicate one per rod, and then relegate it to the workbench bin for less precise work. For the cost and time involved in building a good custom rod, a nickel for a single edge blade, per rod, isn't much to worry about.

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 20, 2013 09:54PM

I use #10 scalpels

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2013 10:28PM

The razorblades sold today are not the same quality as they were a few years ago. I hear this complaint all the time, from people who laugh at me for sharpening mine. I'll use the same blade as long as I don't lose it, makes no sense to keep throwing away a dull blade just to take another dull blade out of the cardboard wrapper.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.drdrcmta01.drdrla.by.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 20, 2013 10:35PM

Go to a beauty supply store (like Sally's) and get the long thin single edge blades used for cutting hair. They are more expensive but are also much sharper. I saw this tip on this forum about a year ago and was skeptical but I've become a believer in them. I use them for trimming the tag ends. I also keep a box of the regular single siders for lots of other tasks.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.unas.al.charter.com)
Date: August 20, 2013 11:02PM

Steve has it exactly right - Personna Hair Shaper Blades from Sally Beauty Supply are fantastic. I first saw Bill Stevens post this and they work. You can also get them on Amazon, etc.

Just be careful - they are MUCH sharper than you are used to and you can easily cut too deeply when cutting fizzles, etc. Easy does it for sure.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: August 20, 2013 11:14PM

I'll add my voice in favour of the Personna Hair Shaper blades .I also use a new blade with every rod

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 20, 2013 11:31PM

I'm with Tom and Barry, a new blade for every rod, they don't cost much and there are plenty of uses for them in the work shop.
I looked for those Personna hair blades but couldn't find them here. I'll see Barry on Sunday and he can enlighten me.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 21, 2013 01:30AM

heck
I do what Billy does Run it on a piece of 400 grit sandpaper had the same one for Don't know how long now

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 21, 2013 09:07AM

Ordinary double edged blades are MUCH sharper than single edged. Break them in half lengthwise and fold a piece of masking tape over the broken edge. You will get two very sharp blades for one, you won't pay a premium (beauty salon) price, and you won't have to drive all over looking for them.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: August 21, 2013 09:30AM

Double edge blades here too. I put a piece of masking tape over one edge when I take it out of the holder and write "new" on it. then when one side gets dull I cover that with tape and write"old" on it. when both sides are shot I wrap the whole thing in tape.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 21, 2013 11:17AM

I buy single edge blades by the 100 for $8..... one rod and throw it out....tack on the 8 cents to the price of the rod.

Date: August 21, 2013 11:26AM

I have a ton of double edged blades, the problem I have with them is that they are too sharp, thin and small and I sometimes cut my fingers/palm with it. I wrap holding the razorblade in my palm and flick the blade onto my fingertips.

Don, the problem with the new blades is some of them aren't even sharp out of the box and you end up cutting with a dull blade which leaves a fuzzy cut. And some metallics dull the blade after one cut.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2013 12:10PM

I use scissors on all thread except for feathering the thread of a butt wrap when wrapping the retaining bands. I don't get nubs.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 21, 2013 01:21PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a ton of double edged blades, the problem I
> have with them is that they are too sharp, thin
> and small and I sometimes cut my fingers/palm with
> it. I wrap holding the razorblade in my palm and
> flick the blade onto my fingertips.
>
> Don, the problem with the new blades is some of
> them aren't even sharp out of the box and you end
> up cutting with a dull blade which leaves a fuzzy
> cut. And some metallics dull the blade after one
> cut.

I have not had that problem yet....knock on wood, guess if I had a dull one out of the pack I would have to eat the cost.....LOL

Date: August 21, 2013 01:44PM

People started complaining to me a couple of years ago, I had no idea what their problem was. Until I ran out of blades and bought a new 100 pack, and it was like you were trying to cut with the safe end of the blade after 2 guide wraps. I assume the guy who started this got blades that were like that

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2013 01:55PM

use a scalpel, you won't have to worry about cutting yourself, much safer and sharper. readily available at most surplus stores.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster