I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4, 5, or 6 Piece 8 to 9 foot 3/8 to 2 oz. 10-20 lb Spinning Rod Blanks
Posted by: Steve Elliott (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 17, 2013 03:11PM

Might anyone know of a source for blanks like this?

Rods made from these types/sizes of blanks are widely available in Australia / England / France / Germany / New Zealand / etc.

And these rods are being sold from under $50 to over $400.

So, these blanks are being made somewhere in a wide range of quality levels.

Shakespeare makes 6 piece travel spin rods from 7 feet to 9 feet in this weight range, and 7 piece travel fly rods up to 10WT as well (Expedition XT series).

Shimano makes the Exage BX STC spinning rods – 5 piece / 8/9/10 foot long / in 3/8 to 1-1/4 / 1/2 to 1-1/2 / 2 to 4 oz.. weight ranges.

CTS offers the Revo Salt and they say a 6 piece version would add about $75 to the normal cost (a 5 piece would be cheaper as it's much easier to design and make).

All American blank builders (except Talon, who still offer a 4pc 8.5 foot blank) have quit making even 3 piece 8 foot blanks IFAIK.

So; what are my options?

I could buy a Shakespeare Expedition XT or a Shimano Exage BX and then rebuild it with a New Concept guide layout and the Phillipson sliding reel seat handle that would allow me to throw (as opposed to cast) big flies to my toothy critters of choice: muskie and pike.

Or I could have CTS make me a 5 or 6 piece Revo Salt in any weight from 8 to 18 and from 8 feet to 9 feet long.

P.S. – I know St Croix still offers 3 piece 7-1/2 foot blanks, but these are both too short, and not compact enough for my liking.

Many fisherpeople outside America say that the performance of multi-piece blanks today often rivals that of even 1-piece blanks, so why do American rod builders seem to increasingly be offering more 7 to 8 foot 1-piece blanks, and dropping even 3 piece blanks?

Is it because fewer Americans portage canoes and kayaks around the BWCA than use boats in big reservoirs, rivers, or oceans?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4, 5, or 6 Piece 8 to 9 foot 3/8 to 2 oz. 10-20 lb Spinning Rod Blanks
Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2013 04:01PM

You might want to look at MHX at Mud hole. I know they carry travel blanks. I was looking into that myself for my Puerto Rico trip for Tarpon.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 17, 2013 05:08PM

Easy - you said it - CTS.
I just ordered a customer a 5pc CTS Vaper-Trail Spinning blank. Why do you say it has to be a Revo?? They will do anything you wish - to a point.
Regards,
Herb

Distrib. CTS Fly Rod Blanks

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: August 17, 2013 06:31PM

God knows! I often wonder myself. Since about half a year ago you can throw in Fishingart in Poland with travel blanks, though only 3-piece.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 17, 2013 06:39PM

Hi Steve,
Have a look at the DBlue site. You'll have to speak to Lily at info@dbluefishing.com as blanks don't appear on the website at the moment. She will email you a list. They have 1-4 piece blanks from 7' 6" up to 10' and 2-4 piece from 10' 6" to 13'. These are the new nano technology blanks and are nice blanks without a big price tag. I got some 7' 6'' 4 piece blanks for Mark Newcombe and he was impressed. I have a number of 1 piece blanks and they are nice.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: mark crouse (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 17, 2013 08:58PM

Hi Col and Steve
I got the Proto type blanks from DBlue fishing in my shop and they are awesom.
It will be hard for the Competitors to beat the Quality of these blanks.
Best Regards Mark Crouse

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2013 11:04PM

Talon makes more then just the one you listed. They have many different multi pc blanks.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 18, 2013 01:47AM

Hi Mark,
I'm glad they appeal to you. I bought a number just on spec for myself and some SEARBS members as I get on well with Lily. The blanks exceeded my expectations for the cost. Like all their products they offer excellent value for money and are good quality product, not cheap stuff.. Haven't been very well known but are getting there and with people like you on board that will help. Getting her to the Expo this year was good for them as they got to meet a lot of builders and made some good contacts especially people like you.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster