I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
3 weight fly rod grip length
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.198.---)
Date: July 17, 2013 09:15AM

Anyone have any comments on grip length for light fly rods, like a 3 weight? Seems like it could be less than the traditional 7-7.5 inches. thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3 weight fly rod grip length
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 17, 2013 09:34AM

You'd want to be able to move your hand fore and aft slightly to accommodate different casting styles, etc., so I wouldn't go too short. Something no less than 6.5 inches but no longer than 7 inches seems to fit most persons pretty well with the lighter and shorter rods.

If the rod is a full 9 footer, you might want to consider sticking with something like a 7 to 7.5 inch grip.

Date: July 17, 2013 09:45AM

It is a 9 foot rod, so will take your advice and stick with 7. thanks, Mick

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: July 17, 2013 10:44AM

I agree - stick with 7" and you should be good. Shapes that look good and fundtion well for a 3-weght include a cigar, a half wells (Fenwick) and the reverse half wells. I have also really liked a small diameter full wells on longer rods (9' and longer) even though it is not traditional.

I also really like carbon skinned foam core grips on these light rods. If you have not tried one you should seriously consider it. I can post some photos if you need them...good luck!

Date: July 17, 2013 10:47AM

The amount of additional control and ease of effort between a carbon skinned foam grip and one made of cork, is astounding.

Date: July 17, 2013 11:16AM

I have the material and instructions for carbon skinned, and plan to do this rod that way. Wish me luck. Actually the grip will come together separate from the blank, so I'm not risking the blank on a new to me process. Once I get the grip to where I want it, it will be no risk after that.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2013 11:28AM

Grips, in general, dampen the rod's ability to flex. If the blank wants to load into the grip area I use a shorter grip. Sometimes 6.75 even on a #10 saltwater rod. I found that the need to move your hand up or down the grip is way overrated. My older grips were 7.25-7.5" to give me that ability. The reel weight has too much effect on your swing when the distance increases between the reel and your hand. Gripping the rod just in front of the reel is best for me and many others I found. I am now ordering my CTS fly blanks in 8'9" lengths to compensate for my preferred hand position. If I want more blank in front of the grip I add a removable fighting butt which adds 1.5". If I want more length I cut the threaded portion of the seat by 1/2". But generally I just stick with a normal build.
My recommendation - cast the blank grip-less and see where it likes your hand to be.

Re carbon grips - had them on 3 saltwater rods and after a season I ground them all off. Slippery in saltwater - although more grippy when wet with freshwater. Also, very uncomfortable - hard on hands. Probably be O.K. On lighter rods where less energy is needed.
Would never use them again on any of my fly rods - maybe O.K. on spinning or casting rods. Just my opinion.
Regards,
Herb

Date: July 17, 2013 11:33AM

I never found them to be slippery. How did you finish you's? Hammer handles aren't slippery and the vast majority are finished with a gloss varnish or urethane, similar to what most put on their carbon skins.

There is a reason you felt they were "hard on hands" and this goes back to the fact that until you learn that you can relax your grip due to their greater rigidity, you'll get hand cramps. It took me a good while to make it to that point. It goes away when mind muscle memory figures out the right grip strength. These grips excel in the heavier and longer rods precisely because they so greatly reduce the effort required to hold them, and cast the rod, with a soft, cushiony cork grip. Effort for effort, more energy makes it to the rod and the cast the more rigid the grip is.

Date: July 17, 2013 11:53AM

Tom,
I did not build/finish mine. The builder was very accomplished - but I do not know what the final finish was.
When you are in the surf up to your waist and very wet you cannot relax your grip on the rod. Maybe in more benign conditions I would change my mind.
As I said - when wet with fresh (tap) water they got "grippy". But were unstable in saltwater. I tried very hard to like them - didn't work for me on saltwater rods in wet conditions.
Also - have to be very careful when installing because the skin will slowly groove the blank if it comes in contact with it when flexed. I cut away some of the skin and inserted a neoprene "O" ring as a bumper.
Herb

Date: July 17, 2013 11:53AM

Tom,
I did not build/finish mine. The builder was very accomplished - but I do not know what the final finish was.
When you are in the surf up to your waist and very wet you cannot relax your grip on the rod. Maybe in more benign conditions I would change my mind.
As I said - when wet with fresh (tap) water they got "grippy". But were unstable in saltwater. I tried very hard to like them - didn't work for me on saltwater rods in wet conditions.
Also - have to be very careful when installing because the skin will slowly groove the blank if it comes in contact with it when flexed. I cut away some of the skin and inserted a neoprene "O" ring as a bumper.
Herb

Date: July 17, 2013 12:33PM

I'm not sure how that grip was built. My skins can't come into contact with the blank, no matter how much flex takes place. Nor have mine proved slippery in saltwater, nor anywhere else.

Not doubting your word, just curious exactly how those grips were made.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: July 17, 2013 02:09PM

I am a bit surprised by your experience.. You are actually the very first person I've ever talked to who tried them on fly rods and went away from them - in fresh or salt water. I built two Winston 5-weights that are identical - one with cork, one witih carbon fiber and I ask people to try before they buy. I have literally never had anyone choose the cork. But, to me this is one of the very best reasons to build custom rods. You can make them exactly how you like them and that's exactly what you should do. To each their own. If you don't like them go with what you like (not that you need my permission).

Personally, I absolutely prefer the carbon fiber grips over anything else I have used before - ESPECIALLY on heavier fly rods. I have not found them to slippery in fresh or saltwater. (I finish mine with both epoxy ala Mike Pedersen and Permagloss ala RodMaker Magazine but prefer PG for fly grips.) They are also infiinitely more durable which I have really come to appreciate fishing out of a kayak, out on docks and jetties, etc.

But most importantly - the rods are so much more responsive. You don't realize how much energy the cork is dampening until you feel it and experience it. Not to parrot Tom's post, but the amount of control and distance with the carbon fiber grips on a #9 or #10 is even more noticeable than on a #3 in my personal experience.

I do think getting the shape and diameter right - which is personal and subjective - is key. I built some in the beginning that were just too big in diameter. I have been well pleased since I got that figured out.

My hand and wrist did hurt the first time I ever used one, but I was definitely monkey gripping it. But by the end of the first week of using it at the beach, I had figured it out and I was totally sold. I actually ground off a bunch of cork grips and installed carbon fiber grips on some existing rods,. (I don't even want to think how much $ I had in that cork...I could puke). But I'm happy and I have not built with a cork grip on a fly rod since.

Hats off to you for at least trying them, in my book. Some won't even give it a whirl.

Date: July 17, 2013 02:17PM

Tom,
I sent you an email.
Herb

Date: July 17, 2013 02:31PM

Herb,

I didn't get anything as of 2:30PM.

Date: July 17, 2013 05:22PM

Bill F,
Your email is hidden.
Please email me at hladen@hotmail.com so we can "talk".
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2013 06:21PM

I find the carbon fiber grips to be both more sensitive and durable. Many of my customers now request them on all their new rods. I do find that there is a difference in how some want them finished, some want them glass smooth, while others like a little texture left on the surface. Never found them slippery, which really surprises first timers. I believe they are actually "no brainers" for fly rods, which is all I build.

Date: July 17, 2013 07:15PM

Well, obviously comfort, feel, etc., is subjective. In the end you have to give your customer whatever makes him/her happy.

Back to the original context of the post regarding grip length, I think that may be more dependent on rod length than line weight.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2013 12:50PM

I'll stick with cork. I don't like the feel or look of the carbon skins. I guess I am too much of a traditionalist.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: July 18, 2013 02:51PM

How do you like the look of a carbon fiber rod blank, or plastic fly line? Being a traditionalist I'm guessing you stick with greenheart, ash and horsehair or silk? Not trying to poke at you but the argument of "tradition" has always seemed selective to me. Seems like it would be all or nothing, not just this piece or that piece.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2013 04:10PM

I am a traditionalist as far as cork is concerned. I have tried the others and don't like them. Silk works good!! :>)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster