I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

polyurethane vs. spar urethane
Posted by: keith david (---.tmodns.net)
Date: July 01, 2013 11:12AM

Hello gents, I have painted a few blanks with different paints for testing. I read of people using polyurethane spray to coat the blank after painting. Does anyone know if spar urethane will be a good choice? And are their any other clears anyone could recommend, that will yield flawless results? Thanks in advance, Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: polyurethane vs. spar urethane
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2013 02:20PM

You can get pretty good results with a product like Helmsman Spar Urethane, but it won't be as tough as some other coatings, particular 2-part automotive type urethanes.

The Spray Max epoxy stuff probably merits some consideration.

Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2013 05:23PM

The urethane in single part, consumer grade "urethane" varnishes, spar or not, is not nearly as UV resistant as the non-urethane varnishes, such as the marine spar varnishes such as Epifanes Gloss, Interlux Schooner, or Pettit's Captain's. In full sun they would outlast the Minwax junk by a factor of several times. The urethane resins in single part consumer grade urethane (or polyurethane) varnishes are much less UV resistant than either the linear polyurethanes in the two part urethanes, or the non-poly resins in marine spar varnishes. The top marine spar varnishes include Epifanes Gloss, Pettitt Captain's, and Interlux Schooner. Interlux also makes a two part urethane spar varnish that could be brush applied called Interlux Perfection Plus.

Date: July 01, 2013 07:49PM

Thanks Tom and Steve, now im armed with wisdom passed down. I will try them out. Thank you so much. Keith

Date: July 02, 2013 12:37AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can get pretty good results with a product
> like Helmsman Spar Urethane, but it won't be as
> tough as some other coatings, particular 2-part
> automotive type urethanes.
>
> The Spray Max epoxy stuff probably merits some
> consideration.
>
> ..............

Hay Tom, I was looking at the Spraymax products and came up with some questions. Do you know if this can this be used over the Duplicolor bumper paint with no affects, or is their a certain type of paint I should avoid? Also , will CP have any affect on it, or the Prokote over the threads? Thank you so much, Keith
My lord their is a lot to learn, im real glad I found this forum.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2013 07:21AM

I don't know for sure as I've no idea what, if any, type of solvent may be in it. I suspect the people who sell it can tell you.

I doubt CP or Procote will have any effect on it. CP uses water as as solvent and Procote has no solvent in it.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2013 04:56PM

Spraymax can be used over Duplicolor touch up paints it will not have an effect. The Spraymax isn't really super hot solvent, it is a true 2 part Auto finish used in two stage auto finishes. A two stage finish uses a single part color base ( flat finish) that is over coated with the tough 2K finish to give it gloss and protect it. A single stage is a gloss color coat 2K that needs no clear coat.

Now even though it's not super hot solvent it is very dangerous to breath. The danger comes from the airbourne finish being breathed in and in so many words clogging your lungs... I used to spray Drums ( musical ) for a large company and all we used was Imron which is a very very tough Poly enamel.. This stuff would kill you in minutes if precaution isn't used. I tell you this not to scare but to inform, The Spraymax is a great product that makes finish easy since it's in a can but it's still a PRO material so use with common sense!!

Date: July 04, 2013 04:20PM

John Martines Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Spraymax can be used over Duplicolor touch up
> paints it will not have an effect. The Spraymax
> isn't really super hot solvent, it is a true 2
> part Auto finish used in two stage auto finishes.
> A two stage finish uses a single part color base
> ( flat finish) that is over coated with the tough
> 2K finish to give it gloss and protect it. A
> single stage is a gloss color coat 2K that needs
> no clear coat.
>
> Now even though it's not super hot solvent it is
> very dangerous to breath. The danger comes from
> the airbourne finish being breathed in and in so
> many words clogging your lungs... I used to spray
> Drums ( musical ) for a large company and all we
> used was Imron which is a very very tough Poly
> enamel.. This stuff would kill you in minutes if
> precaution isn't used. I tell you this not to
> scare but to inform, The Spraymax is a great
> product that makes finish easy since it's in a can
> but it's still a PRO material so use with common
> sense!!

Thank you so much, that is awesome info. I will most definitely look into that. And having a friend who refinishes furniture and has a spray booth. He could spray it for me. Thanks again so much.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 04, 2013 05:40PM

Take a look at this clear very similar to auto clear generally for spraying But could probably be wiped on ?? have not tried this - yet

[www.klasskote.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2013 05:47PM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster