I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Getting Started......
Posted by: Queball (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 01, 2001 12:31PM

I am trying to get started in rod building. What should I buy first? Should I take a class? What book or video should I buy to see what I am getting into? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Q

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting Started......
Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 01, 2001 01:25PM

I would highly recommend an class if one is available near by. The process in the purest form is not that difficult and being able to "watch" someone do it will take much less time than reading books about it. There are a few good books out there on beginning rodbuilding, and a few members of this message board have authored them. I will let them suggest what they may for you. Then by either reading or watching you should get a good grasp of what you need. Actually, you can wrap a rod with as little as a cereal bowl and a thick book. It is a little harder this way, but no investment is needed. The technique will probably be outlined in some of the books. If you want a hand wrapper, check @#$%&, I have seen flexcoat wrappers go for $15. (Just might have to be patient) You can build your own too, it is kind of fun, but if you have never wrapped before you may not know what you need or want. Anyway, if you have questions, this is the place. I am sure many will follow my comments.
Happy wrapping.
Elrod

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 01, 2001 01:27PM

By all means arm yourself with some good background info before you start. Get a couple books, maybe a video. If you can find a class in your area, that is certainly a good way to start.

Rod building is not particularly hard, but the more information you have before you start the better off you will be. And please never hesitate to use this board or any of the others if you run into a snag and need some help.

Posted by: matt (---.cbtri.com)
Date: November 01, 2001 02:57PM

i am in you rboat. i would highly recommend getting together with Richard's Rod & Reel. he'll make you up a starter kit including what is supposed to be the best book around. It's by some guy named Kirkman something or other :-)LOL. anyway, he'll get you the tools, materials, blank, handle whatever. you can customize it to whatever price/quality level you want.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.ocean.eticomm.net)
Date: November 01, 2001 04:07PM

I got my start in Rodbuilding by taking a course at my local Vo-Tech here in Cape may Co. it was 2 Hrs a night 1 night a week for 10 weeks I learned a lot of info and sources of parts and equipt.
We actually built our first rod in class Check it out in your area

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 01, 2001 06:18PM

Thanks for the plug Matt and I'll do my best. Our new catalog lists kits that are complete to get going. In fact, we named them "Get Started" and includes the book mentioned. I suggest also there are very good videos available to see first hand how it's done.

Once you become familiar with the technique, whether attending a beginner's class or jumping in and following what you've book learned or are seeing first hand through a good instructional video, the help you'll get from places like this message board will get you on the right track. The use of the more than basic equipment will help you along to a most enjoyable past time.

Need any help about the supplies, visual or reading material please feel free to contact me.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster