I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
rod painting help
Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 07:30PM

Well here I am finally upset enough to consider painting rod blanks. Some blanks are just awesome but come in (my opinion only) horrible colors. Therefore i now need to decide to get an airbrush kit, use spray paint, or a spray gun. I am leaning toward the airbrush only because it is only a few blanks that i want to do. I tried to use spray paint before- then put on permagloss which burned the paint right off. tried the same thing with lumaseal did the same thing (btw i love these products for unfinished blanks but not right application here). Is there a type of spray paint sold that will stand up to the permagloss? That would be the easiest solution. But if that doesn't work i saw that they now sell two part urethane clear coat in a spray can. Has anyone ever tried this before? Will it take the spray paint off?
next option is the airbrush which i have been looking into. Looked at lots of "how to videos" and it seems the only annoying thing is all the cleaning of the brush and thinning of the paint. Has anyone gone this route and said "this is a waste of time" or "i wish i had never gotten involved in this". I have read a lot of stuff here that people are happy with using air brush with large tip.
Then of course there is what type of airbrush to get- i am leaning toward double action gravity fed brush but would really love any advice here.
Finally there is a spray gun which seems like overkill to me but then i dont know anything to begin with.
As always any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod painting help
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2013 07:58PM

An air brush isn't really meant for larger work - it's for detail stuff, mostly.

I don't know how anyone can package a two-part paint in a single unit can. No idea. I doubt, however, that it's going to be as durable as a good two part automotive urethane.

At one time, there were only a couple or three colors offered in rod blank. For a couple decades, all graphite blanks were gloss charcoal. That was it. We got our colors from the thread and didn't worry too much over the color of the rod blank. Sometimes I think lately guys are going overboard on blank colors (and adding a lot of performance reducing weight in the process) but I do understand that folks like what they like.

One thing to keep in mind - the instant you alter your blank's finish by re-painting it, you've voided your warranty as far as most manufacturers are concerned.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 08:00PM

Go to the search button and type in ``Tinting Permagloss" Then go to the bottom of the page and click on ``All dates'' then hit search. Lots of info to answer these questions.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 10:46PM

Google spraymax!!

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 07:22AM

3M Accuspray Spray Gun Model HG09
3m pps disposable cup system

The only cleanup is rinsing the tip out

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2013 08:14AM

I took a look at that product SprayMax - it's actually two parts separated within the same can and mixed as they are sprayed out. In this case you're likely to have a much harder finish than you'd get with the run of the mill single component spray. Could be a very interesting product for rod builders. Thanks John.

Posted by: frank kurant (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 09:34AM

If you want to try an air brush get one that handles a lot of volume of paint,I have tried it with my Iwata air brush I use on lures and it just runs out of paint to soon.

Date: April 27, 2013 10:59PM

I have to agree with Tom ,spraymax does look like its worth a shot. Whatever you decide do not be fooled by flex additives (they just slow the drying process and evaporate over time ). Also stay away from fast drying clears, they tend to be too brittle.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 11:25AM

Mike,
For what it's worth, I just finished spraying an ocean jig rod I am building for a friend. I painted the rod with Tamiya RC car body paint in a spray can. Then I sprayed the rod with two part automotive clear coat and it came out great. I used a Paasche two phase air brush with the #3 tip, (largest), and it puts out a large enough cone to cover the rod fine. As noted above, they do run out of paint quite quickly so you have to watch the paint level in the glass cup. I have a spray gun; but you end up wasting a lot of the clear coat which is expensive. A fellow rod builder gave me some Tupperware containers of the clear coat, (resin, hardener and thinner). I live in CA and you cannot but the good stuff here any longer. I don't want to waste what I have; because when it is gone it is gone, (unless I drive over to AZ and buy some)!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 01:29PM

Check out Klass Kote They have a nice urethain clear that can be thinned and dries hard

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Phillips (---.netrun.cytanet.com.cy)
Date: April 28, 2013 05:21PM

I think it might be easier, better and cheaper if you could find a garage nearby that does car paint work. Most of them are usually friendly enough,(especially if they fish themselves), to make them with reasonable charges. The results done by a pro with his professional equipment would be perfect,(no dripping paint marks etc). Just tell them what kind of paint you 'd like.

Phillips Hot Rods
C Y P R U S
[phillipshotrods.wix.com]

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-226-134.myvzw.com)
Date: April 29, 2013 11:35AM

Ok wow lots of good ideas. I ordered some tamiya spray and a bottle of super max 2k gloss finish. This seems the easiest route. I would love it if body shop guy would paint it but he won't do it. I live in NY, no one is friendly (ha). I will post how this comes out. Tom I would normally agree with you about weight and stuff but this tangerine brown color just doesn't work for me.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.247.---)
Date: April 29, 2013 01:02PM

To keep the weigt down, remove the old finish first. This should also act a prep for the new finish :)

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-226-134.myvzw.com)
Date: April 29, 2013 01:18PM

Don thanks for the tip to use Tamiya paint! I just read the 2k clear will burn off acrylic paint. The last question I have would be if I should use an adhesion promoter or not? I will do my best to wet sand down the blank to keep weight down although it is a rather large saltwater blank the weight increase may not mean that much.

Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: April 29, 2013 02:29PM

I build mostly larger live bait rods which are always painted. Ive used spray bomb and ive used true auto base / clear. IMO nothing beats true 2k clear.

Yes, spray bomb works but its not as tough and you just cant get that deep rich color 2k clear provides. If you have the equipment to spray I highly advise going with true auto paint.

I have seen the spraymax products but never tried. I was always turned off due to the fact that once you activate the can its done.

If anyone ever comes up with a spray clear which provides a finish which is closer to that of a 2k please let me know. i would love to not have to clean guns over and over.

And on the note of spray guns. Go to harbor freight and they sell a small detail gun for about 12 bucks. Air brush just isnt large enough

Date: April 29, 2013 04:09PM

Here

[www.klasskote.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: April 29, 2013 04:48PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here
>
> [www.klasskote.com]

Sorry I was not clear. I meant if anyone found a spray can clear which provided results close to that of 2k I would be interested. Cleanign guns takes time and $$

Date: April 29, 2013 05:33PM

All ya got to do is after spraying the paint or clear is spray thinner thought the gun
I used spray guns for years doing body work
Clean cup thinner and then just wash the spray tip Not that much to get a NICE finish on rod blanks

Or

DupliColor spray paint Auto After a GOOD Blank Prep
Then let dry 5 - 7 days and Permagloss or lumiseal

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2013 05:37PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: April 29, 2013 08:25PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All ya got to do is after spraying the paint or
> clear is spray thinner thought the gun
> I used spray guns for years doing body work
> Clean cup thinner and then just wash the spray tip
> Not that much to get a NICE finish on rod blanks
>
> Or
>
> DupliColor spray paint Auto After a GOOD Blank
> Prep
> Then let dry 5 - 7 days and Permagloss or lumiseal

Ive just never had that kind of luck with spray guns. I have always found that if you dont break them down and clean, they end up junk. Now with the 13.00 HF detail gun its not that big of a deal but im not gonna chance my develbiss or satas... The darn things are just too expensive.

I have yet to try the permagloss or lumiseal over paint.... its something which is on my list to experiment with

Date: April 29, 2013 09:55PM

Mike

Where in NY are you. I work in Corning NY and have been painting cars for 20 years and would be happy to help! Let me know if you are interested.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster