I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite casting reel seat?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 24, 2013 10:42PM

It has been a very long time since I built a bait casting rod. Needless to say I am quite out of touch with the newer reel seats. Planning on reels like curado/calcutta in the 200 to 300 size range. Will fish fresh water to inshore salt water. I suppose I'd want a trigger (wouldn't I?). I would be okay with a blank exposed type but I don't think I want a skeleton type (but I'm open to be talking into one). I'm so used to rods having to live in rod holders that I have never considered a split grip handle setup either.

Still miss my silver bantam with pistol gripped fenwick. Money is too tight for a pixie. Anything out there at a reasonable price that will handle salt water and cast an 1/8 ounce jig (at night into a breeze)?

I'll assume I'd look like a dork with a pistol grip these days!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite casting reel seat?
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2013 11:04PM

Russ,

I'm partial to the Batson nylon exposed blank seats. They work quite well for me.

As far as a reel, it's been a while since I've bought a new one. For casting an 1/8oz. jig and plastic, I use a Citica 100DSV and the old Curado 100b, but they've been discontinued for a while. For a round reel, the Cardiff 100A will handle the job, and I think they are still offered. If the budget allows, look for one of the low profile Shimanos in the 100 or 50 size, and you'll be in great shape.

Joe

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2013 11:21PM

I like to use Fuji SK2, ECSM and PacBay Minimas. I really liked the old style Castaway exposed seats, but they are different now.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 24, 2013 11:48PM

Super Sticker/ Wiebe 15 deg. offset casting seat/grip set. Used to be on the high end G Loomis rods and are now used on the Edge rods Gary makes now. I think they are more comfortable while palming a reel, but they have their disadvantages, as they don't work well with larger diameter blanks due to the offset of the reelseat and rear grip bore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2013 12:01AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: March 25, 2013 01:08AM

Hi Russ,
The Alps seats are also neat and worth a look. Lot of options from aluminium comfort triseats (without a trigger), trilex as well as the colored exposed blank nylon trigger seats.
The Rodworks in South Australia often has a better selection of Alps seats than anybody else. Listed under "components"

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2013 06:49AM

With out a doubt my favorite reel seat is the new Batson trigger seat.
But sadly it will not be on the market until they debut it at the ICAST show.

With the exception of maybe trimming some of the lock down threads off to shorten there barrel a tad, (like I do on all reel seats) .
It is the first seat I've had my hands on that is perfect right out of the pack.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 25, 2013 08:18AM

Fuji ECSM.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 11:06AM

Ted Morgan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fuji ECSM.

I second the ECSM. If you have not installed a Fuji SK2 or Minima Split Grip they can be a little tricky. For simplicity and perforamnce it is hard to beat the ECSM....IMHO.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Jann's Netcraft (64.254.132.---)
Date: March 25, 2013 03:39PM

The ACS reel seat from Fuji is a great reel seat that is very comfortable and lightweight as well. It is a cutout reel seat with pre configured finger slots that make palming a casting reel very easy and manageable. The ACS seat looks great with either a split grip or a full grip as well.

[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: March 26, 2013 11:56AM

Steve, I "only" need one or two:) Bet it would look purdy on my XP964. Maybe I'll go spin on the XP903.

Reckon I'll have to wait or settle for the ECSM. Thanks for the advice gents!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2013 08:28PM

Russel
I hate it for you, but understand
Besides being light and comfortable. It is one of the sharpest looking seats I've seen!

I would describe it for you, but was asked not to until it is officially released.
I would look purdy on any rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 08:29PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 26, 2013 09:05PM

Okay Steve. I'll be a good boy. I won't beg no more and I'll wait till summer. It will give me time to hunt up a recipe and get the ingredients. Looking to do these blanks justice.

Funny but I find myself more conflicted on how to do up the xp903.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster