I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spacing for 11' rod
Posted by: George Kerr (---.lightspeed.gnbonc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2013 08:54PM

I am building a 11' 3 wt nymph rod. It will be my first build ....so I have plenty to learn. It appears that the guide spacing charts do not include measurements fo an 11ft rod. Can anyone tell me where to find this information?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacing for 11' rod
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2013 09:14PM

Rule #1

Don't use charts.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: March 16, 2013 10:40PM

Rule #2

The static test will determine where your guides need to be and how many you need.

Learn how to do it correctly. The library and "search" function will help as will the guys on the forum.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: March 16, 2013 11:14PM

Thanks Col. I will check out the static test.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 11:28AM

Hint for guide spacing.

First all above correct - use static test ONLY.

But don't use guides. They will mar rod's finish when moved. And it is a PITA to constantly re-tape in position. Even surgical tubing is a pain.

I use neoprene "O" rings slid over the blank. Thread the line through the rings. The rings will move freely w/o marring finish and friction will keep them in place while making fine adjustments. use a grease pencil to mark the blank for guide positions.
Herb

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.wrbg.mo.charter.com)
Date: March 17, 2013 12:29PM

George,
What will be the distance from the rod tip to the reel and how many guides would you feel adequate ??
I can give you a few variations to start out.

Gene

Date: March 17, 2013 01:17PM

Herb,
That sounds like a good tip. I will try thr O-Rings.
Thanks

Date: March 17, 2013 01:24PM

Eugene,
I haven't assembled anything yet so I don't have an exact measurement. I will need to buy a rod wrapper & other tools before I start. At this point just doing research. Thanks for your help.
George

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 05:20PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hint for guide spacing.
>
> First all above correct - use static test ONLY.
>
> But don't use guides. They will mar rod's finish
> when moved. And it is a PITA to constantly
> re-tape in position. Even surgical tubing is a
> pain.
>
> I use neoprene "O" rings slid over the blank.
> Thread the line through the rings. The rings will
> move freely w/o marring finish and friction will
> keep them in place while making fine adjustments.
> use a grease pencil to mark the blank for guide
> positions.
> Herb

That's a great idea. I'm always scrtaching my rod doing the static test. What are they? Do you have a photo of them? How does the line move through the O ring? I don't understand. If you would post a photo I would be grateful because like I said, I use the static test, too.
Thanks

Date: March 17, 2013 09:20PM

Herb, Where do you get the O-Rings?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 11:35PM

George,
You can get the 0 rings at the big internet @#$%& site, or just do an internet search.
It is not a bad idea to have a caliper to measure the blank at various points so you know the diameter of the blank, for the O rings use.

When I do a guide layout, I do it rather simply.

I simply eye ball the rod, and flex the blank, starting at the tip. I just take a piece of 1/8th inch wide tape and stick it on the top or side of the blank, where I want a guide to be tied. I continue on down the rod working from the tip to the butt of the rod, flexing the blank.
If the blank bends, and I need a guide to keep the line in the proximity of the blank to load the blank, I will stick on a piece of tape. If the blank does not bend, I keep moving.

Then, I will back away, and just use the ceiling or floor to flex the rod - while eyeballing the locations of the tape. If the spacing looks reasonable, if the line would appear to follow the contour of the loaded blank, I will tape guides on the blank at the locations of the tape.
Then, I will thread line through the guides from the reel, pull out about 30 feet of line, and then, while keeping pressure on the line, will reel the line back on the reel. As I reel the line in, I keep the rod loaded, as if I were fighting a fish, and I eye ball the line to verify that the guide spacing is just sufficient to allow the line to follow the contour of the loaded blank.

What ever method that you use to determine guide spacing, it is always a good idea to do a line through the guide , blank loaded line retrieve test before actually tying on any guides. It is easy at this point to add or subtract a guide, or move any guide.
Tougher after you have wrapped on a group of guides.

To help with the line test, I generally will glue the tip on the blank before doing any of this testing. The solidly affixed tip makes this loaded blank testing much easier. For all of the guide spacing, I always keep a tape measure in my hand. I insure - that starting from the tip, the guide spacing of each succeeding guide from the tip to the blank is either equal or greater in spacing than the previous guide.

But, if I have built other rods on the same blank, I will just use my reference to align my guides, tape them in place, wrap them, and then put the tip on last.

By the way-
The guide spacing for an 11 foot rod, will likely be the same as a 7 foot rod, with the exception of a few more running guides at the tip of the rod.

Good luck
Roger

Date: March 17, 2013 11:50PM

Roger, Thanks for your help.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 02:35PM

What a great idea - no scratches, no tape residue to remove. I will give o-rings a try.

Date: April 23, 2013 08:51PM

Herb. I followed your suggestions for using O rings to perform the static test. It worked great. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster