I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blanks recommendations for a 10' Sturgeon Rod
Posted by: Greg Vogel (---.135.80.14.montanasat.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 03:24PM

Not being a "Sturgeon guy" need a little help on recommendations/experiences on blanks. Have a guy who wants a rod for sturgeon on the Snake in the 10 foot range for length. He is adamant about it being 1 piece. Does most of his fishing from a boat. Doesn't want a noodle but not a clubby blank either. I have built him a couple of 7 footers on Rainshadow RCLB70ML blanks with good reports. Now he wants the 10.
I have been looking at all the manufacturers but am still not sure about which to get as I have not handled any of the blanks. Should I go with a medium heavy surf blank or something else? Thinking maybe a Lamiglas G1000 GSB120-1M or Tri-Flex CSB126-1M or MHX SU1198 or 1199. I know there are others out there also. Anyway if someone has more experience with something like this, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blanks recommendations for a 10' Sturgeon Rod
Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 04:39PM

I have fished from boats for them on the Columbia. Most used rods I saw were Lamiglas GSB120L and M. Everything else was 2 pc and the funny thing is the two pc blanks kicked the 1pc in power without question. You might want to look at the new Infinity surf from Lamiglas as well. I want to also mention Seekers CSW1008 and CSJ100. The CSJ action is GSB like but has a tad more bottom power and the CSW is faster and very powerful but casting weight is limited to 3oz but I'm sure would handle the drop weight used by many Sturgoen fisherman. This season at least on the Columbia looks like it's going to be short and regulated even more. It's ashame but.. Oh well!!

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster