I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice Fishing blanks
Posted by: Mike Dimino (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2013 10:37PM

Hello all, Does anyone have any ice fishing blanks to reccomend. Possibly higher end blanks. Not the usual 3 dollar blanks that most carry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice Fishing blanks
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 27, 2013 04:40AM

Check out MHX....great stuff.

Posted by: Andy Stromsness (199.67.131.---)
Date: February 27, 2013 08:34AM

Are you looking for anything specific Mike? ie Panfish, walleye, lakers...

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2013 10:17AM

Some of the very best in the country:

[www.thornebros.com]

Posted by: Mike Dimino (---.sub-70-192-71.myvzw.com)
Date: February 27, 2013 12:37PM

Thanks for the response guys.
Andy basically all of the above. I havnt ice fished in about 10 years since that time I have taken up rod building. I am looking to get back out on the ice so I figured I might as well build up a few new rods. When I used to fish I just used the store bought and always thought they were cheaply made.
Roger, I know of thorne bros do you know what blanks they build on. Or are they there own.

Date: February 27, 2013 12:42PM

Roger I do apologize. I just clicked on your link and it answered my questions. I see t hat they do have there own blanks. Do you have any idea of the maker. And have you ever built on them.

Roger I do apologize. I just clicked on your link and it answered my questions. I see t hat they do have there own blanks. Do you have any idea of the maker. And have you ever built on them.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: February 27, 2013 01:10PM

Roger's post X2,

The technique specific options from Thorne Bros are quite extensive. I tried two a month ago (power noodle / inside rod and panfish sweetheart / outside rod) and was impressed by each. I gave them to my niece who has been fishing with them almost daily on their farm pond. I Built them using rec guides; one for a Symmetry 500 (panfish) and Frabill 241 (noodle). I felt each were better than anything I built in the past though admittedly, I don't build many ice rods compared to some builders.

They are a bit pricier than other options, but I feel you really get what you pay for considering you're buying a premium product.

Posted by: Andy Stromsness (199.67.131.---)
Date: February 27, 2013 02:00PM

Mike:

I really like the 2 solid graphite blanks from Jann's ($8.95), TBros does make a nice blank but agree with what others have said on the money, I've also gotten blanks from Ron at Schneiders and MHX too. One other source I've used is Sportsmans Direct.

Andy

Date: February 27, 2013 04:52PM

Mike,
I only live a few miles from Thorne brothers and it was there that I was taught the rod building craft. Very nice folks who really bend over backward to do their best for their clients.

With respect to the ice rod blanks that they sell. Thorne brothers has many very die hard fishermen and fisherwomen. Over the years, they have accumulated hundreds of thousands of hours of both soft and hard water fishing. As they do their fishing, they are always thinking about the best rod for their particular rod needs.

Many years ago, the rod builders started with using fly rod tips for ice rod blanks. But then as time went by, they begin to use some of the solid blanks that were then available. But, many of the fishermen found that the blanks that they were receiving did not do the jobs that they wanted to do for them. So, the rod builders began to shape and grind the solid fiberglass and solid graphite blanks to meet both their needs, as well as the needs of ice fishing clients.

Eventually this business expanded to 50, then 100, then thousands of ice rods sold every year. In the early years, the builders at the shop took raw stock and ground and sanded the blanks to meet the needs of the clients. But as time went by, the builders came up with standard blanks, and then sent the specifications out to graphite and fiberglass suppliers. These folks would bid on bulk manufacture of the blanks, using specific materials and techniques to create the variety of various ice blanks that are now available from them.

The key with all of the blanks available from this supplier is that each blank has been created for a specific need and has been ground to a specific length, diameter and taper to meet those very specific requirements.

I believe that all of the graphite and fiberglass suppliers of these custom blanks are all U.S. Manufacturers.

Good luck
Roger

Date: February 27, 2013 09:06PM

Roger Thank you. That is no doubt the better quality I was interested in. There site is also very helpful.

Date: February 27, 2013 09:53PM

Mike,
Also check out some of these products.

I have purchased a number of their various products and all work very well.

[www.sportsmensdirect.com]

Roger

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: February 27, 2013 11:36PM

10X roger's comments. I also live a few miles from there. The blanks rock and you would be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable crew on hard water. I have a few that I built and love them all. Nobody knows ice like folks from MN!

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: February 28, 2013 06:16AM

From another guy in Minnesota...Thorne Brothers.

If you fish for anything beyond panfish thru the ice, you need to get a real ice blank.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Date: February 28, 2013 06:35AM

Thanks guys. Great stuff here. The thorne bros site ia great. They have a small video with all of there rods so I can get an idea of the action.
Roger that sportsman warehouse seems to have some pretty good options as well.

Date: February 28, 2013 11:55AM

Mike,
Yes they do. By the way, the folks at sportsman warehouse are good friends with Thorne brothers folks and each store knows each other products very well.

Roger

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: February 28, 2013 12:38PM

Mike,
Mud Hole has both solid fiberglass and sold graphite blanks for sale. If you would like to email me some specifics I can tell you which ones my customers prefer for the application that you are looking for. The guides who use my rods that fish lake trout/salmon/borwn trout on the great lakes are having me remove specific lengths of the tip sections of the solid graphite blanks to get the lure action and lifting power that they want. Great blanks, build a bunch of them.

Buzz

Date: March 01, 2013 11:26PM

Buzz, Thank you. I will email.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster