I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dual helical bias rod blank
Posted by: marc trejo (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 07:24PM

Hello all. I have a question. Carrot stick wild green rod is built with a dual helical bias rod blank. What rod blank that i can purchase is comprable or exactly built that way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dual helical bias rod blank
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2013 08:03PM

can you explain what a dual helical bias is?

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 14, 2013 08:09PM

Warning....this is my opinion and someone please step in if I am way off.

It sounds like a play on words.... Helical is spiral wrapped, and when something is cut on a bias it is diagonal....sounds like two of the same thing to me. Aren't a lot (or most) blanks now a days wrapped in a spiral configuration? I think the over looked thing that they advertise about their rods is the multi modulas similar to the MHX blends.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 08:14PM

God Bless America

More hype My Daddy can beat up Your Daddy Ha Ha

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: marc trejo (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 08:35PM

This is what i found on dual helix process. I just wanna lnow what rod is close to it so i can buy one. I would rather build my own. Dual Helix Facts
United Composites-USA's "Dual Helix" ply construction produces a rod blank that has outstanding resistance to both crushing and twisting when compared to the competition.
United Composites USA's unique construction technique, adapted from our experience in aerospace activities, is superior to the conventional rod blank roll-wrap manufacturing process adopted years ago from the textile industry.
Two advantages are readily apparent.
The Dual Helix structure keeps the rod round when heavily loaded during casting or fighting a hooked fish. When conventional blanks are subjected to heavy bending loads, they have a natural tendency to start to go oval because they lack helical reinforcement designed to resist these loads. A rod that starts to become oval is no longer as stiff as it was when round and will fail by buckling if the line pressure is not backed off. This problem does not occur with United Composites-USA's Dual Helix reinforced blanks. In addition to the phenomenal bending strength the Dual Helix construction adds extraordinary crush and nick resistance, making United Composites USA's blanks the most durable on the market today.
United Composites USA's second major advantage is the outstanding resistance to twist imparted to the blank through the Dual Helix design. When casting there are sidewise loads introduced when the fly line is moved out of the fore and aft vertical plane by winds or casting actions. These side loads during fore and aft casts will twist the guides of a rod that does not have the Dual Helix resistance to twist. This twisting deflection is not recovered in the fore and aft casting stroke as casting energy but is lost. Torque loads from twisting rods account for much of the casting arm discomfort and lack of precise fly line directional control.
The term helical is starting to appear in ads from other rod companies, but United Composites-USA's Dual Helix construction is unique and we have used the proven technique for over twenty years.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 08:36PM

United Composites/GUSA, there are some downsides to this construction. Bias graphite loses a bit of modulus over linear graphite construction and they can be a bit heavier. Greater possible durability is a plus due to greater hoop strength.
GUSA used to have blanks to walk on at their booths, pics of fullsize 80's Bronco on a blank without crushing it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 11:44AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2013 08:39PM

GUSA built very high quality blanks which were also known for their tremendous durability. Part of that was due to the dual helix construction and part of it was due to the small diameter heavy wall design.

Whether or not the Carrot Stix dual helix construction is similar or even true is beyond me.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 08:40PM

Some thing like the Herculis blanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 10:33PM

sounds like the old Cortland woven rod blanks to me. Had two of them break just testing (carefully) the flex. Have never had another rod blank do that.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: February 15, 2013 09:22AM

Over the years there have been a few of these "dual helix" blanks. They tend to be rugged and strong but also weigh more. I have an old Kunnan rod that was made like that.

United Composites and American tackle are two that offer them today.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2013 08:17PM

I have a 50-year-old, white, 7'6" fiberglass Shakespeare Wonder Rod four weight. I believe it exhibits a "dual helix" blank construction - but the flacks back in those days called it the Howland process, or something like that.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2013 08:21PM

Not the same thing.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2013 11:08PM

Dick Kanter developed brought this method to rod building in the late `80's and Fenwick had a line of single Helix blanks for a time but they never sold well. Dick then started Graphite USA and made the now well known GUSA blanks. Stephen Pratt of CTS uses this method on some of his line of NZ based blanks and was trained by Dick on how to do it. It basicly has been used by gold shaft manufactuers as well.

All it really is a unidirectional carbon layed up in a wrap around method + or - 45 degrees. It also uses traditional cloth patten layups in conjunction with it. Biased and helix is really the same thing. All it is, is another method of making a rod blank nothing more. Some claim it's better some say it's no different.

the Shakespere uses the Howald process and is nothing like Helix or standard cloth layup process. Howald is all machine done with glass and or carbon strands wound on reels and wound onto the mandral after the thread passes through a resin bath.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 17, 2013 07:49PM

I'm no expert on this issue, but I do have a pretty sensitive @#$%& detector, and it just went off. How many of the problems that the process is supposed to solve have you experienced with blanks made with other processes? I have had none. All of my very few rod failures have been because I did something stupid with the rod, and I really don't think any blank build process would have prevented them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster