I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

where to find Petri poly gel
Posted by: Walt Foreman (---)
Date: February 09, 2013 10:25PM

So I just discovered the Petri gel a few months ago and loved it - so much simpler to finish a piece of wood with it. I was about to begin finishing a reel seat insert today, and my present can of Petri had hardened. So a few minutes ago I got online to buy another can - and Klingspor's, the place I bought my last can from, no longer sells it, and I couldn't find any place online that had it in stock.

Does anyone know where I can find some?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: where to find Petri poly gel
Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 10:45PM

I'm not sure it's still made. I was looking for their gloss poly ahile ago and couldn't find it anywhere. They used to have a website and the company was based in NJ if I remember. I never did bother looking as i bought another brand. Petri made/makes some great poly some of the toughest stuff i have ever used!! I found their phone # 973 589 1464

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2013 10:49PM by John Martines.

Posted by: Troy Whitrock (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 11:00PM

Try Sioux falls paint and decorating here is the link [store.siouxfallspaint.com]

Hope this helps

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 11:43PM

They still make Dippity Do Gel.

Not sure that will help you, though.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2013 07:07PM

I went by Klingspors today and talked to the mgr. He believes they quit carrying it due to lack of sales. He advised many are using the Behlen gel. I dont think it is rated for exterior use but would still probably work. I still love the petri and will have to find some place that has it.

Date: February 11, 2013 12:10AM

I read a review online of another brand, that may have been Behlen, and the review said that particular brand was much thinner than the Petri, which seems to me to defeat the purpose of a gel...I did try the Sioux place but either they're out of business, out of the product, or their website is malfunctioning because every time I got to the point of submitting the order it would give an error message that it was unable to process my order at that time.

John, let me know if you find some - I'm bummed I suddenly can't get my favorite finish.

Date: February 11, 2013 11:46AM

I called Petri. I found out that they discontinued the product due to lack of sales. I guess we will have to find something else. I hate it as it was the best finish i had found for handles for ease of use, durability, and finished look. the search now begins

Date: February 11, 2013 07:05PM

Thanks, Troy, the Sioux Falls place had a few cans. John, I ordered three but they still have a couple pints on hand - they're out of quarts and I don't know about the gallon.

Date: February 11, 2013 08:31PM

walt, did you find a place that still had some? if so can you email me the location?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster