I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Identify Grandpa's Rod
Posted by: John Williams (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 05:09PM

Just need some help Identifing an old fly rod.

3-piece rod. Measures 8'3''

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Identify Grandpa's Rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 05:30PM

unhide your email Controll Center

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 02, 2013 06:36PM

Sorry, not a big technology buff. My email is flood64@ymail.com

And I have it shown now.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2013 06:47PM

I don't recognize the logo decal off the top of my head, but it's a fairly common commercial make from around the 1940's. The hardware is telling.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 08:55PM

I'll guess.. Kingfisher? Montuage?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 10:19PM

I don't believe it is a Kingfisher or Montague. The readable letters of the decal would point to a maker withe the first initial "J" and the last "O" . I don't know who that would be. an internet surch is in order here. I would like to see the guides, especially the stripper.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 11:15PM

I do not believe Montague ever used a decal of that shape most are round or oval. It also appears from the photos that the first letter may be a "U" rather than a "J". John can you determine better what the letters are?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 11:26PM

Phil, your may be right about the 1st letter being a U, I still don't have a clue as to who might have made it. I don't recall any makers whose frist initial would have been a U. I have Montague, Phillipson, Orvis, Heddon and other old rods, and can't find one to match that Logo.

Date: February 03, 2013 12:53AM

I cleaned the rod off a little and took a closer look with my son. The first letter on top is most definitly a U. And after brainstorming a big on the smaller bottom letter we came up that it is probably JAPAN, it looks like a A P and japan would seem to fit. Also posting some more pictures.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 03, 2013 11:48AM

Hardly an answer but you might find the following worth the read.

[www.maxrod.net]

I'll cut and paste this too

"Yes, Tosaku is a well known name in Japanese bamboo rod making history. I have read that as many as 26 brand names were attached to bamboo fly rods and other bamboo rods made in occupied Japan following WW II. Some of these rods are undoubtedly of better quality than others. Most were high production rods and sold for $2 or so to US servicemen stationed in Japan. Thousands of these rods found their way to the USA as gifts or as souvenirs for the servicemen. Many were used as everyday fishing tools, but a surprising number were never used at all and can be found in essentially brand new or mint condition. It sounds like your Grandfather may have brought this one home as a souvenir and kept it as a reminder of his war time experiences rather than used it as a fishing tool.

In general, the Japanese rods do not have a high collector value. Most can be purchased in the $25-$50 range with really good specimens selling closer to $100. I had a mint condition set a few years ago that I sold for $175 but that was really an exception to the general rule. For insurance purposes, you may wish to consider your rod in the $150-$200 range as I am sure you won't be selling it and it will appreciate over time. It is likely of higher quality than the average post war rod and would certainly be impossible for you to replace with the family history it holds."

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2013 12:56PM

My first impression was that this is a Japanese rod from the post WWII era.
The deciphered markings seem to support this assumption.
As noted these were not the top quality heirloom grade bamboo rods one would most desire.
The personal history is it's strength and as such it is certainly worth caring for it.
Refurbishing it would be a nice project.
It might even turn out to be a very nice caster.
Good luck with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster