I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Leveling Techniques 2
Posted by: Clint Doak (---.ida.net)
Date: February 19, 2003 08:24PM

Robert Box asked a question about leveling FC lite. Could he, provided the coverage is thick enough, sand the FC level and recoat the wraps again. Of course care would need to be taken not to sand into the thread, but would this work?

Clint

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Leveling Techniques 2
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 19, 2003 09:29PM

Sanding to get it all level would be the best thing to do, if those bumps and waves are really noticeable. But sanding guide wraps isn't the easiest thing to do what with the guide foot sticking up there!

I think what I'd do if the problem is only slight is just leave it alone and try to do better on my next one. Or maybe leave the guide wraps alone and just sand and recoat any long or large areas such as a butt wrap or inscription and make that look better.

We live and learn. Each rod gets better than the one before it.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: February 20, 2003 08:02AM

I've sanded before. It takes some time and patience. I use a 3M sanding sponge. Not the big thick ones, the 1/4" thick 8 1/2" x 11" gray ones. They come in a Fine (120) and a Superfine (400). I cut them into 3/4" x 1" pieces. I put a piece of masking tape at each end of the wrap to protect the blank. I rarely use the 120. Mostly use the 400. Then to bring the scratches down a bit I use a piece of 3M polishing paper.

Posted by: Michael A. Munoz (129.115.217.---)
Date: February 20, 2003 02:22PM

To anyone with lumps and curiosity.
I’m curious as to how the lite-formula coat looks over a sanded portion of a previous thread wrap. Let me know Mr. Davis. Clear as the first? Any debris in the sanded surface?
This may be redundant, because I miss a lot of good posting on this board, but it is very easy to remove the old thread and wrap and try it again. On your technique, a practice blank helps to have around whether your practicing wraps, color combos, color preservers or epoxy techniques and tools. My technique of leveling epoxy is a steady handed pass from left to right with constant speed and constant pressure. This usually makes the initial waves identical therefore the level simultaneously. A few passes with low power, high heat hair dryer will level about anything after that, but be sure your work area is clean and dust free before you do this. You could blow shtuff into your wet epoxy very easily. A good wipe down and a pass with the hair dryer previous to epoxying will prep your work area enough. I don’t always use the hair dryer, but it may help leveling as the heat brings back the epoxies original viscosity, more wet. Some rod builders I know don’t epoxy without it.
Yes, Two other great points in previous posts, level rod (parallel to horizontal), and amount of epoxy. Stuff that just takes practice.

MM

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: February 20, 2003 07:14PM

I use LS2000 Supreme. It will cover and completely hide 400 grit scratches. I like to go a step further to "CYA" but I have gone right over 400 grit scratches and not been able to see them at all. I don't notice a difference in non-sanded areas either. The only place I guess that happens is right over the guide foot. On an inscription I go all the way around the blank. CYA. And you do need to inspect for debris, but the polishing paper really removes any debris and certainly doesn't leave any.

On other epoxies and polyesters that I've used in other fields I've been able to cover and hide 220 grit scratches, so I was never concerned about 400. But I'm too anal to not go a step further than I think is necessary.

Also, I don't need to do it nearly as much now. I've gotten a lot better over time. But my first few rods saw a lot of sanding.

Posted by: Robert Box (65.89.229.---)
Date: February 21, 2003 01:39PM

Clint, I decided not to sand just for that reason. I didnt want to have to rewrap. Instead I took my time and applied a thin 3rd coat. It turned out much better
I guess a rule of thumb is when you think you are taking your time.....SLOW DOWN!
RB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster