I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice Rod Blanks
Posted by: Bill Willis (---.216-16-104.knology.net)
Date: November 04, 2012 04:41PM

Hello All,

I am looking to get some ice rod blanks for Perch and Bluegills. I like the MHX blanks for walleyes but they are a little stiff for bluegills and perch. I would like to find someone who wholesales but most of all I want a quality blank that you could compare to Thornes Bros. 18-36" would ideal.

Thanks,

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice Rod Blanks
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2012 07:35PM

Why don't you just use a fly rod tip section that would satisfy your needs? Don't do any ice fishing here, but I don't think I would have trouble building one.

Posted by: Andy Stromsness (---.235.106.216.unassigned.sdncommunications.com)
Date: November 04, 2012 07:44PM

Bill - check out the new ones from janns. they are ar about 9 bucls and IMO are pretty similar. email me if you have any questions.

Date: November 04, 2012 08:09PM

Hey Andy,

I was thinking about getting ahold of you one of these days anyhow. Have you used the Jannscraft blanks?

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: November 04, 2012 10:43PM

I have built several Ice rods using the Microlite blanks available at Janns NetCraft. Janns also has the tiptops for the blanks, They are 2/64th inch, so that gives you an idea of how fine they are at the top. I use fly rod guides on my rods, and trim some of the extra metal off of the feet of the guides before I wrap them on. The blanks are black with an orange tip, and come in lengths up to 36 inches. It cost about $15.00 to build a rod. Janns advertises the Microlite ice rod blanks as a solid graphite/fiberglass composite. I have caught gills, perch, bass, crappies, and Pike on the blanks, my favorite Ice Lure is the Arnold's gold poly jig. Weight is not an issue, as they are very light, and very sensitive.

Date: November 04, 2012 11:01PM

Thanks Randolph, Is there a way to get just a tip section of a fly rod???

Thanks Randy I am thinking about getting a few of the Janns NetCraft blanks.

One thing that does cause me some grief is that sometimes it is very difficult to get a size 8 tip top that has a small enough tube size. Has anyone wrapped thread around the tip and then applied a tip top over it??? I like to do a lot of hole hopping so having a couple rods with the larger guides would be great!

Thanks again for all the responses!

Bill

Posted by: chip burdick (---.sub-174-226-0.myvzw.com)
Date: November 04, 2012 11:59PM

Any solid glass rod is nice. It can be sanded down to exactly what you want . Jann's has a good assortment for your needs. All I build is ice rods and they are just as good as Thorne Bros when sanded down. I have made tb noodle rod and sweetheart perch rod from them to get my specs. Then sanded blanks to match from Jann's. Both are good. Just an idea. Thats what makes tb's blanks different, they are made to thier specs. You can do the same.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 12:07AM

Several years ago, I stopped using tubular blanks for any ice rods.
The problem with tubular rods, is that it is very tough to get the right action (soft enough) in a tubular blank - but still be tough enough to hold up to the rigors of ice fishing.
This includes the normal treatment of ice rods, as well as the ease with the smaller tubular blanks break under normal fishing conditions.

However, with solid blank - whether they are carbon, or fiberglass - are virtually unbreakable.

---------------------------------
Bill, I just wrapped a bunch of ice rods, using blanks with tips of various diameters.
These particular rods are going to be used outside and the clients wanted only size 8 rings to prevent ice conditions. Most of these rings come in a size 5 or larger tube.

When I need to put a size five tube on a blank with a smaller tip, I simply put a thread wrap or wraps on the tip. For some of them, I use a single wrap. For finer ones, I use a double wrap. For a very small tip, I use a triple wrap.

I normally put a thread wrap at the tips of the rods, just to toughen them up a bit. Normally, I put on the tip, and then put the thread wrap on the tip for an inch below the tip. But in the case of these fine tipped blanks, I just put the wrap on the tip first. If I have to use multiple layers, I just start the wrap, then up to the tip - or down from the tip - depending on the number of layers that I need. When I get to the end, I just start the wrap going the opposite direction and continue as needed until I have the appropriate thickness on the tip for a nice installation.

Date: November 05, 2012 08:44AM

Hi Chip,
I have never sanded a blank. How difficult is it? I would be nervous about sanding it unevenly. I have a few glass blanks that the tip has a nice action but after that first 6 inches then the blank stiffens up in a hurry so if I could sand that down it would work well for my purposes.
This blank is a plain fiberglass rod so my other question is about what type of paint can be applied that will not come off the blank while in use???

Hi Roger,
I thought that a thread wrap around the tip might work. Thanks for your ideas for how to accomplish that. I have found that the tips that you can order for ice rods are to small at times for some blanks so having a way to fit a larger tube will definitely come in handy.
Thanks a lot! I just need to address the sanding and painting part…

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 02:19PM

Bill,
My suggestion with respect to painting is to NOT paint.

No issue with painting the blanks if you don't paint them.

Really not much point in painting these rod blanks that get such tough use anyway.

By the way, for sanding the blank, I use my power wrapper, that uses the motor that came from a 24 volt variable speed drill. This is one of the different motors that I have built up over the years for my wrapper, and it comes in especially nice when I need power to do some turning, but still have the convenience of the rod rests.

If I need to take a lot off of a blank, I just start with 100 grit paper to get the blank about 1/2 way to where I want it quite quickly. Then, I will go to 220, 340 and 400 grit paper fairly quickly. I just fold the paper and hold the blank in the fold while sanding it to size.
I keep a caliper close and frequently check the progress on the blank.

If I have another rod that I am duplicating, I make a chart with the diameter at blank stations starting from the tip and taking measurements every inch. That way, I can go to any spot on the rod to check for sizing and progress.
When sanding, be sure to keep the rod blank cool. i.e. you can feel the blank start to heat up through the sand paper and if it ever gets at all uncomfortable to hold, go to a different spot on the blank, or stop and let the blank cool. You don't want the resin to start melting, because if you do, you can just say good by to the blank.

By the way, here is another vendor who just came out with some new and different ice rod blanks
in Oct. 2012. I have ordered a few of each of their latest ice rod blank offerings and have built some rods on these blanks - both glass and carbon.
A nice combination of power and tip action.
You might check them out to see what you think.

[www.sportsmensdirect.com]

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2012 05:50PM

Bill,
any of the solid glass "BRB" blanks will work. Also MHX has a new UL model coming out in 30".
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2012 05:51PM by Todd R. Vivian.

Posted by: Jerry Haight (---.sub-75-241-105.myvzw.com)
Date: November 06, 2012 09:58PM

Give Dave Fickle at Patriot Custom Rods a call. I promise you he has what your looking for. He carries a variety of solid glass blanks in different actions and lengths. His number is 269-628-5227.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2012 08:16AM

Give Gary at Gary's custom rods a call, he lives around the corner from me here in Anoka, MN. He has some special make for him every year. Bought a few last year and will be heading over after the Hardwater Ice show next week to get some if I do not get them there. Solid carbon and glass both nice.

Even the smallest fly rod tip is way too big for pan fish IMO. I have some 5 wt tips I use for pike and walleye but panfish are a different story.

Eric

Posted by: chip burdick (---.203.191.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 10, 2012 10:07AM

i start with 220 grit paper. Keep your hands moving. I chuck the blank up in a drill and run it on low medium speed. ( dewalt cordless drill) don't know the rpm's. That was a trial and error. Take a blank that you don't care about, like an old solid fiberglass blank. The old zebco 202 combos, Shakespeare, etc. The old cheap rods. progressively work up on grit as you get your desired flex. I finish with 1500 grit. Also take breaks when sanding. The heat will make the blank weak and actually warp. Especially with solid carbon. I do a crappie rod that has almost all tip and little backbone so when you set the hook it isn't ripping through thier mouth. I live for ice fishing and after not being able to find the rods I wanted got into making my own. Everyone here has been great on helping and sharing info. There are centuries of knowledge here and is your most important tool in building.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster