I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

your favorite
Posted by: gaston arnold (---.sub-174-253-208.myvzw.com)
Date: November 02, 2012 12:02AM

I am very green to rod building and just completed my second.I have been using pro kote and am curious as to which finish is your favorite?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: your favorite
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 02, 2012 12:43AM

Hi Gaston,
Everyone has their favorite finish. In the overall scheme of things they are all similar. Some have a bit longer pot life, some set up harder, some are a bit more flexible. I started using Threadmaster high build about five years ago and I've been really pleased with the results so I don't see any need to change. Only to the light build for some applications and I will try the one part finish in the future. Billy Vivona gets good results mixing two types of finish to get the best properties from both.
The biggest "secret" to epoxy is application methods and not messing with the stuff, just let it do it's thing.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 12:51AM

Your favorite is the one that fits your technique.

For me that is Aftcoat.

And I agree...do not muck with it. Get it on and let it do it's thing.

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.sub-174-253-208.myvzw.com)
Date: November 02, 2012 01:02AM

I am learning a lot from this site and deffinatly learned not to mess with it much.my second rod turned out way better.now I NEED to get a rod dryer and ill be cruising.I am deffinatly addicted to rod building now and have caught 4 salmon with my new weapon

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 01:20AM

ProKote is great and very forgiving. Just stay with it if you are happy with it. 2 coats, and done.

I use either that,or Threadmaster-Lite which I also like.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2012 07:36AM

Col's comment is spot on, pay close attention to his first and last sentence. I think Tom K once said on here that there are no bad finishes, just bad finishers. I tried several before settling with Threadmaster Lite. If you do some research on here for past threads on applying 2 part wrap finishes you will find some info on how to apply them so your finish will set up perfectly. The key thing that I have found is to follow the same methodical steps each time you apply a finish.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: November 02, 2012 07:43AM

I have used and been happpy with Flex Coat, Threadmaster, Pro Kote. The only one that I have utilized that I had problems with was Diamondite..... (I don't believe they are in business any longer)

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 11:17AM

I would definitely experiment with high build and lite finishes in a couple of brands. I like Flexcoat and Threadmaster in the lite build, but not the high build. Threadmaster has a longer working time, which I don't like as much, but doesn't impact my finish. I have been able to go back to a turning rod an hour later, fix bubbles and still have the finish turn out perfectly. Flexcoat cures faster, which is great, as long as you make sure all the bubbles are gone before you leave it on the turner. I've not tried Aftcote or Pro Kote and only know about the reports posted here.

You'll find one or 2 that fit your style. Find what works and be consistent.

Terry

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 04:14PM

For the finish that stays clearer longer. I would have to say Threadmaster, Afcote and Procote. I do the Billy V mix mostly. which is Afcote and Threadmaster mix. Billy has been using Procote/Threadmaster now and has been happy but I still like my Afcote/threadmaster mix. You can mix 50% or 25% or 75%. I like to mix 50/50 first coat then 25/75 Threadmaster being the 75%.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster