I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Rings - smoothest polish?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 29, 2012 01:58AM

A friend of mine, and a truly excellent fisherman, complained recently about his extremely fine 2 lbs braid lines fraying after repeated casts while fishing jigs. Obviously 2 lbs braid is incredibly small diameter and any nicks greatly reduces strength.

In short, other than the reel having a problematic line roller, I put the culprit on the guides. I would like to have him test the smoothest guide rings possible.

Are all companies about the same in how finely they polish their guides? Or are the differences between companies? I am interested in the smoothest polished SIC rings as they are also among the hardest and slickest material. Any suggestion as to which company may polish their rings to the highest standards?

Thanks,
Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2012 01:59AM by Mo Yang.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Rings - smoothest polish?
Posted by: jack taller (139.192.80.---)
Date: October 29, 2012 02:17AM

for 2lbs braid wood,rock or vegetation in water can make it fray too

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 29, 2012 02:55AM

Hi Mo,
I've had a problem with 5lb braid fraying after repeated casts with a 2oz sinker. 10lb braid isn't a problem on the same rod. 5lb braid in the boat that doesn't have a lot of casts isn't a problem. All rods with the same brand of SiC guides. Fugi's are probably the best but other manufacturers are also good including the one I use. What sort of weight is your mate using? 2lb braid is extrememly fine and he has to regularly cut a metre or so off the end and retie everything otherwise he is always going to have a probelem no matter what guides he uses. Maybe he can try rollers with 2lb braid and see how he goes!!!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2012 12:06PM

Mo
While what everyone is saying is true, to answer your question on smoothness on the guides I have read a test performed on Fuji, Pac Bay and American Tackle by Express Testing of Troy Michigan. They are an independent lab and the results are quite amazing. It compared Fuji and Pac Bay to the American Tackle. You will clearly see that American Tackle clearly won the test hands down !! The photos of the ceramic on Fuji looked like sandpaper with holes like craters on the moon and the AT is smooth as glass. This test was NOT on a SIC ring. I tried to upload the PDF of the test but it appears that this website won't allow it. Or at least I couldn't get it to work.

Another area tested was atrength of the frame. While all tested were the same thickness the AT frame was consideraably stronger as well.

I am sure this PDF is available at American Tackle online and if not just ask for it. The test is a seven page report and filled with photos and test details.

And if you guys at AT can get it to downoad on here it would be nice too.

There are other guides out there not in this test but my point is that if you view the report you can see for yourself that American Tackle has a VERY smooth surface and well suited for braid.

Tom
tomscustomrods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2012 12:13PM

Need to remember also that braided line varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. That said I believe ANY of the lined guides available today (new) will handle the "super lines". I've had more problems with spinning reel line retrieval mechanisms, trash in the water, rocks even rough sand than guides

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 29, 2012 12:32PM

I wouls be very interseted to see what they had to say with the Pac Bay ..... especially the minimas?

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 29, 2012 12:38PM

Tom, I wouls be very interseted to see what they had to say with the Pac Bay ..... especially the minimas?

Date: October 29, 2012 02:01PM

Steve Cox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouls be very interseted to see what they had to
> say with the Pac Bay ..... especially the minimas?

Steve The AT out performed the comparable PAC Bay of same grade in all categories. Smoothness, hardness and frame strength. The minima is a steel ring whereas the test was on ceramic rings though.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2012 04:48PM

The smoothest guides I have tested and used are the Fuji cerment guides. Slicker than the SIC guides, I think.

Posted by: Aaron Barnett (125.253.103.---)
Date: October 30, 2012 12:38AM

i uses light gear alot. and use 2lb braid for bream with sic fuji guides. the smoothness doesnt even factor into the normal cast and retrieve or it does in such a small amount as you wont notice anything, there isnt enough force acting to create serious friction. you will only see fraying like that after long fish fights (i rig after every couple of fish and in comps when i use mono i rig again every fish).

Id say the problem would be the line rubbing against structures in the water or if the guide has a hairline fracture in the ring. run a sharp blade around the inside of the ring and if you get some resistance there will be a fracture some times you cant even see them just by looking.

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 30, 2012 06:02AM

Hi Mo

I fish usually 3lb braid and use fuji sics and dont have any problems.Sure the braid may fluff a bit over the last metre or so but i would not put it down to the guide surface.

I fish over a variety of structure such as weedbeds rocks and timber and have been surprised to some of the fish i have pulled out.Never had the braid fail and it its 3lb
depending on the brand it could break at 10lb.

I usually if i am not to slack reverse the braid at 12 months so you can use both ends as with my fishing you are lucky to have 30 metres in the water.

Be interesting to know what type of braid he is using and what type of guides as well.As i understand sic guides are suited for braid but please correct me if i am wrong.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2012 11:41AM

Actually,
I don't know of any reasonably good guide of any brand or type that is going to cause abrasion issues with line.

I suspect; as others have posted, that the issue is thing or things hitting and or abrading the line - once in the water.

Roger

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 30, 2012 07:31PM

I don't think anyone brought up the point of a possible cracked or chipped ceramic ring on one of the guides.

Date: October 30, 2012 09:01PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually,
> I don't know of any reasonably good guide of any
> brand or type that is going to cause abrasion
> issues with line.
>
> I suspect; as others have posted, that the issue
> is thing or things hitting and or abrading the
> line - once in the water.
>
> Roger

Roger I agree with you 100%

Tom

Date: October 30, 2012 11:00PM

THANKS everyone! Much appreciate the insights. I'll presume it is stuff in water though I believe most of the time, it is clear open water but will check. What an INCREDIBLE forum - kudos to all of you and Mr Kirkman.

Mo

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 12:52PM

Hi Mo, Have your buddy rub braid around the ID of the rings it is the best way to find a crack. Our TiN depositioned NanoPlasma rings in silver gold and holographic are as slick a ring as you can get and as hard as SiC. It has near 0 coefficient of friction on wet line. You can see a photo of the ring HZSF at the bottom of the first testing document below. The pdfs can be saved to your hard drives by going to file and save as after launch. .

[www.americantackle.us]
[www.americantackle.us]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2012 02:11PM by Joe Meehan American Tackle.

Date: November 02, 2012 01:52PM

Joe, thanks! Always great to have manufacturer respond.

I looked at your description of your rings online but could not figure out which were higher and which were lower grades. Lots of description but no way to rank them for characteristics. With Fuji, I know that their SIC is their top end etc.

Could you provide a quick explanation?

Also I'm interested with the lightest weight micros in sizes 3-4. The rub is that I prefer my feet to be straight rather than notched as I don't need huge amount of strength but want them to wrap up very clean on thin blanks with transparent wraps.

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: steve clark (---.cstel.net)
Date: November 04, 2012 11:08AM

For those who wanted to view the test results, the document is posted on the AmTack site, but you have to really dig to find it: [www.americantackle.us]

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 05:40PM

Hi Mo,

NanoPlasma #1
NanoLite #2
HyperLite #3 (sp order only)
DuraLite #4
Halide #5

All our feet are arrow shaped to prevent pull out which plagues OEM's. Our lightest are the Artus Titan's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster