I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Expo Hotel Rooms
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2012 04:33PM

The two hotels that are located directly across the street from the Expo feature hundreds and hundreds of rooms (over a thousand combined). We brokered a special rate for exhibitors and attendees in 2013, but were limited to just 600 rooms. As it is, I'm told we are nearing a sell-out of those rooms. While additional rooms will be available (hopefully, as we're not the only game in WS that weekend) they will revert to the stand room rate which is approximately 30% more than the special Expo rate. So, if you wish to be able to stay directly across the street from the Expo and receive the special room rate, you'll want to book now. The reservation information for both the hotels are listed on the official event website at www.rodexpo.com.

There are plenty of other hotels in town, of course, and many within walking distance of the convention center. So if you prefer to stay elsewhere, or have to, it shouldn't be much of a problem to locate another hotel.

Finally, we are down to less than 10 booths left available for the Expo. On Monday I am releasing those to companies on the waiting list. I expect to fill up by week's end. We won't be able to accommodate all the companies that want in, as there is only so much room in the exhibit hall, but the event will once again be larger than the one last year. I expect another record turn out. See you there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Expo Hotel Rooms
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 05, 2012 05:05PM

The current rates ARE really good deals. Considerably less than AARP, AAA or even our corporate rate. I am very happy to have mine reserved at such a great rate. The Embassy Suites looks really convenient, too. Some kind of connecting concourse between it and the Expo Hall, just like Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas ... super nice to have in bad weather.

Date: October 05, 2012 05:09PM

These are exceptionally nice hotels, both feature beautiful restaurants and lounges within.

Both are connected to the convention center by either underground or overland walkways.

Posted by: Jim Peart (---.nexicom.net)
Date: October 06, 2012 08:01PM

Tom, some of us old dudes like to "ride the roads" over the winter and drag our homes 'hind us. Any good advice on RV parks/campgrounds in the area? My better half couldn't care less about "rod building" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) and would like to busy themselves with other activities. Anything going on at the same time that might of interest to her? I did the google thing but everyone is "The Best", according to them, on the www.

Date: October 06, 2012 08:38PM

There are all sorts of things to see and do in Winston Salem. I would highly recommend spending some time at "Old Salem." Beyond that, the city is full of art museums and theatres.

Not sure about RV parks but I'll try to get you some information on the closest ones by late Monday.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2012 11:49PM

I was curious as to the travel time distance between High Point and Winston Salem? We found a really great restaurant there and if the drive wasn't to far i was going to go back this year.

Tom

Date: October 08, 2012 07:24AM

About 15 minutes.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (65.242.118.---)
Date: October 08, 2012 10:00AM

That's great.thanks Tom

Date: October 08, 2012 10:07AM

There are maybe 50 restaurants within walking distance of the Convention Center in Winston-Salem. Not sure I'd bother driving 15 minutes to anywhere with so many choices that close.

Date: October 08, 2012 10:12AM

The only nearby RV park I can find for Winston-Salem is at the beautiful Tanglewood Park which is about 15 minutes west of the city:

[www.campingfriend.com]

But it may not be open during the winter.

Of course, there is still Oak Hollow campground and RV Park in High Point, which is open year around, and is about 15 minutes south of Winston-Salem. It is also just off highway 311/74 which takes you straight into downtown Winston Salem.

Date: October 08, 2012 12:46PM

One restaurant is all I need ... Sweet Potatoes. Fried Green Tomatoes and Drunken Pork Chops. Just like home!

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (65.242.118.---)
Date: October 08, 2012 02:05PM

What no hush puppies, Jim?

Date: October 08, 2012 05:29PM

Nope. They do have fried okra and fried pork skins. Besides that, after having Don Morton's jalapeno hush puppies, I don't want any others.

Date: October 08, 2012 06:59PM

By the way, Mr. Barbeque (and Miss Fried Chicken) on Peters Creek Parkway, in my opinion, offers the very best North Carolina BBQ available. It's about 2 miles from the convention center. I'm halfway between WS and Lexington and I'll go to WS to eat BBQ every time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster