I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trolling rod length
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 27, 2001 11:51AM

I am working on two IGFA trolling rods. I am wondering if there is a preferred length for these type rods. I know I can trim a few inches off the butts if I need to. These are 80lb blanks and will be fished strictly from a fighting chair, but may be used on various boats. Any thoughts on the normal length or the pros and cons of shorter or longer lengths is appreciated. If it makes any diffence these are Seeker fiberglass blanks. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trolling rod length
Posted by: Bob Batson (---.olypen.com)
Date: June 27, 2001 01:07PM

We manufactured Regulation Trolling Rods when I had my shop on Maui for many years. The standard length that the 80 lb. blank would be 66" from the manufaturer. As custom builders, we would build them according to the the boat, and or position of the fighting chair. Transom clearance would always be a main consideration. We would never trim the regulation blanks to less than 60".
Bob Batson
Rainshadow Rod Blanks & Forecast Rod Components

Date: June 27, 2001 01:10PM

These are 68". So should I just leave them alone? Why would you ever trim one any shorter? Sorry for all the questions I guess I am just trying to figure out how one determines what is the correct length. Maybe the manufacturers don't intend for them to be trimmed at all.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2001 01:37PM

2 inches is not going to change the leverage factor by much if at all,and in the case of a true trolling rod,2 inches to long is far better then 2 inches to short,one quick touch of the line on the transom and it could be all she wrote,unless there is some pressing need to obtain a good fit with the unibutt leave as they are.

Posted by: Bob Batson (---.olypen.com)
Date: June 27, 2001 02:10PM

John's point is well founded, especially with the application of regulation trolling rods..

Posted by: Petro Chem (---.powerinter.net)
Date: June 27, 2001 02:42PM

Hi Pete.

My opinion is that if you are not building your rods to suit a particular chair position in a specific boat, then you ought to build as close to full length as possible. I agree with John's post- better to err on the side of excess on that issue.

2" off a 68" tip won't make an appreciable difference in terms of leverage, as the length of the tip is only reduced by about 3%.

One customer I've built shorter trolling rods for wanted a rod where the tip could be reached while in the rod holder (easy to grab the line without jumping for it in rolling seas) or with a fish coming in. He tended to fish alone and would keep the rod in the holder during the fight and when it was time to gaff the fish, he could grab the leader easily with the rod still in the holder.

If you build full-length, the thing you need to be concerned with is proper fit at the ferrule and tiptop.

Tight Lines

Tom

Date: June 27, 2001 05:10PM

I don't think I would ever trim butt or tip just to get the right fit for the uni-butt or tip top. I would shim or go up or down in component size or whatever I needed to get the fit right instead of altering the blank to do that.

You have all given me some ideas and I know a bit more about how to make my decision now. I thank all of you for your input. Very valuable.

Posted by: Stuart Mackenzie (---.ozemail.com.au)
Date: June 28, 2001 09:14AM

The guys are right in what you have been told. I build a huge amount of heavy tackle chair rods mainly chasing fish around the 700 to 1200 pounds and as Bob said you need all the transom clearence you can get... one touch on the transom and its all over. Shortness dosent come into the eqation because you are sitting for a start and all harnesed to the chair and besides if its a good skipper he will position the boat in the right spot for the angler at the right moment. Keep them long as possible.

Stuart mackenzie
Precision Rods

Right on Stuart!
Posted by: Mike Bolt (63.50.54.---)
Date: June 28, 2001 09:19PM

The captain of the boat and how he manuvers is the key to landing a fish. I don't care how good you are at playing the fish, if the captain can't keep the boat oriented properly, you are screwed again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster