I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FlexCoat glue stick for setting guides
Posted by: Rex Mason (---.sangtx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 09:15PM

The FlexCoat video shows their "hot glue" stick to be the cat's meow for attaching guides to the blank instead of using masking tape.
Anyone used this prodluct?
your personal results & comments?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FlexCoat glue stick for setting guides
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 09:35PM

I use it and have basically switched over to it. It's a really good way to do this.

Even with small fly guides it works. The key is to just use a little.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 11:08PM

I use this as well with great results. The only issue is if you use too much, it oozes out around the guides and you have to clean it off. A little practice gets you the right amount.

It also allows movement of the guide after wrapping if needed. One stick lasts forever, unless you lose it on your bench.

Terry

Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: September 17, 2012 11:33PM

I love it, I used tape a few times and found the guide foot adhesive rocks. You only need a bit and you can move the guides after for adjustment.

Re: Flex Coat glue stick for setting guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 02:54AM

I've tried it in the past, but didn't like the bit of residue left behind with the glue. I also had issues if I had to make a significant adjustment with the guide after it was wrapped.

I simply use masking tape of various widths for various size guides and have 0 issues.

The important thing is to use a method for any part of any activity that you do, that works well and that suits you. If it works, if it does the job with quickness and quality and if you are satisfied with the results - stick with it.

Good luck
Roger

Re: Flex Coat glue stick for setting guides
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 06:19AM

I can't imagine building without it. It's so easy, and works great.

I'd highly recomend it.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Rex Mason (---.sangtx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 09:27AM

Drrew / Terry / gabriele / Roger / Marc
Thank you!!!!!. I received all of your responses in less than 12 hours. 4 of 5 recommended it.
I will place my order to Flex Coat today.

Posted by: Brian King (216.48.130.---)
Date: September 18, 2012 09:28AM

I use a glue stick on almost every guide prior to tying it on. It did take a few guides to get used to it instead of the tape but i like it a lot better.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 09:34AM

rubber bands or those dental bands work better for me As I can adjust change guides easy

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: eddie martin (---.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 10:28AM

I know this is a question about glue but what about rubber bands?

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 10:32AM

If you stand over the "spine" of the wrapper base as Flex Coat suggests and work with the reflection of an overhead flouro strip on the rod, you can often line things up PERFECTLY the first time. If you do need to realign, you can gently "flick" the guide with your finger after it's wrapped and the glue will pop away from the blank allowing any adjustment you want. Pretty handy all around. My only problem is I can't glue all the guides and go back and start wrapping because I am constantly bumping other guides as I move up the rod. They pop off pretty easy and then you're searching for a size 4 on the floor.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 10:36AM

These ligature bands work the best and are available in different sizes. You can easily move the guides on the rod during static testing.

Chuck posted a great picture a little while back.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-166-249-194.myvzw.com)
Date: September 18, 2012 11:46AM

These are all great comments. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Practice does make perfect. Here is the link to our pre-mentioned video on how we do it: Mastering Guide Foot Adhesive

[www.flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: David Spence (---.scansafe.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 12:07PM

Love 'em. No need to order these-you can get a bag them at a craft store for next to nothing.

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2012 03:42PM

One little trick I used with this glue, especially when gluing on micros is to get it stuck on the blank close to the right position, then fine tune it by heating the tip of a dental pick with a lighter and using that to move the guide around. The little bit of heat in the dental pick is just enough to soften the glue enough to make minor adjustments before wrapping. Recently I have switched to Elastic thread (you can get it right at wal-mart or any sewing shop) I just make 2-5 wraps depending on the guide size and finish it with a regular shoe lace knot. I like the the thread because it seems easier to slide the guides during static testing, and it cuts down on the steps, before I would use tape for the static testing, mark the location, take them off, glue them on, then wrap. Now I just tie them on, slide them to where they need to be, mark them and wrap. The other nice thing is if you bump them while wrapping other guides you just simply slide them back to the mark very quick and easy.

Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: September 18, 2012 09:43PM

It also makes me feel a little better about the guide cutting into the blank. Its like a cushion between the blank and the guide.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 01:00AM

Use it exclusively after using most of the other methods for some periods. I find it to be the quickest and easiest method after you go through the learning curve.

After it is stuck on, you go right to wrapping and have nothing to remove and discard. It allows adjustment after warping and I find even with some larger movement, the adhesive stays on the guide, not the blank.

I'll keep watching for a better method, haven't found one yet!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster