I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DNA to clean up Prokote?
Posted by: Mark Fink (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 03, 2012 03:56PM

Is this what you use to clean the syringes with?
Assuming i should clean them after each use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DNA to clean up Prokote?
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 03, 2012 04:12PM

Hi Mark,
If you drill a 5/32nd hole in the top of the cap you can leave them in the bottle. They don't leak when upside down but I don't risk storing them that way. Used to clean mine with acetone but not any more.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2012 05:44PM

Mark,
I have a piece of blank on the end of my syringes to extend the reach of the syringes into a bottle of finish.
Then, I use a longer and larger piece of blank material - that is on the inside of a test tube to store the syringe.

The syringes are stored in the normal position - with the handle extended fully. That way, if the syringes have not been used for a bit - it is a push to move the handle and not a pull. As a result, there is no issue in pulling the rubber stopper off of the end of the syringe.

Any excess material drains out of the syringe, into the test tube. If too much material build up into the test tube, I will clean it out with a shaped craft stick.

As Col mentioned- no need to ever clean the syringes. Just mark the syringes, and the holder to be sure that you don't mix up the A or B syringes.

Good luck
REW

p.s.
I do the same thing for my assembly epoxy. I use 1 lb tubs of epoxy for general purpose assembly. I use a very large diameter syringe - about 1 1/2 inches. I cut the tip off of the syringe, and drill a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of the syringe. This allows me to suck the thick epoxy into the syringe. I use a piece of PVC tubing of the appropriate size to hold the syringes vertically. Again, no need to ever clean the assembly syringes either - as long as I keep the syringes marked and don't mix up the syringes.

Roger

Posted by: Mark Fink (---.in.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 04, 2012 07:15AM

So if I am hearing you guys correctly, there is no need to clean the syringes after use?

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: September 04, 2012 07:27AM

Spot on

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2012 10:08AM

Correct - no need to worry over cleaning them out. Just don't mix them up. The syringes I have installed in bottle caps are not 2 years old (several 8 oz bottles of epoxy through them) and they are just fine. Only worry about syringes is to NOT use those with rubber ends on the plungers as the rubber has a tendency to pull off the plunger after awhile (rubber degrades / softens slightly). Honestly it's been so long that I bought syringes that I have forgotten where I got them. They're 12cc (12 ml) size graduated off in 1/2 cc increments. I find the larger diameter and length easier to use.

Posted by: Mark Fink (---.in.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 04, 2012 10:25AM

OK Thanks fellas! I plan to get those bottle tops, cannot recall the name at the moment, the ones that I can leave the syringes in...self healing or something to that effect.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 04, 2012 03:49PM

Regular caps are all you need. As previously noted, grab a 5/32" drill bit, make the hole and POOF instant fit for syringe tips.

Posted by: david mastrude (---.dhcp.crcy.nv.charter.com)
Date: September 05, 2012 05:33PM

Wow.Great ideas.I havr one:It not too good though.
1]Get sick like me
2]Get 100`s of 5cc syringes.
3]Throw them away after use.Fill in the hole out in the desert here.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 05, 2012 09:22PM

Be careful with medical syringes as they may have a silicone coating. Also the rubber plungers often cause problems. Get your syringes from a vendor on the left and you will have no problems. They are only a couple bucks and last for years!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: david mastrude (---.dhcp.crcy.nv.charter.com)
Date: September 06, 2012 01:29AM

No rubber..Nylon.
Got bags and bags.
So far so good.

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2012 03:28PM

Same here.
I never clean my syringes. I have one each Thread-Mstr A & B; T-M lite A & B; Flex-Coat A & B.
Once the bottles are empty I throw them out, but reuse the syringes.
I am still using the same syringes I bought 6 yrs ago when I started building rods.

Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster