I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 29, 2012 08:08PM

I want to build a switch rod 5 weight .looked at the Batson If108 . Would appreciate input abt this rod . Looking for some thing that will have a fast,or fast moderate tip,light in weight , powerful butt section and can throw and pick up some line. Im not impressed with fancy names or high end blanks that cost you more because of their logo. Want best bang for your buck. All suggestions are appreciated

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2012 09:58PM by Maryann Cohen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson
Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: August 29, 2012 09:22PM

I built and use the If 1087 7 wt switch rod. It is a beast!!! Absolute best Bang for the Buck out there...!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 30, 2012 02:39AM

I've found switch rod blanks work better than long fly blanks. I fished the Batson 5 wt switch blank and it was very nice as built. Good things have been said about the Angler's Roost switch blanks. I've really enjoyed the Behlah line of switch rods along with the phenominal R.B. Meiser blanks.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2012 08:24AM

I have built a few switch rods on the Batson blanks, including the "5wt" blank. I have also built on both CTS and Beulah switch blanks. The Batson "5wt" is a very powerful and fast tipped rod compared to my Beulah "4/5wt". With my casting style I found the Batson needed a 7wt Bass Taper line to load for over head casting and long line indicator nymph fishing. They are awesome in my opinion for heavy nymph rods due to the fact of the longer length makes for easy mending in heavy currents. They also excel for swinging wets due to the same reason when compared to a standard 9ft fly rod. If your going to spey cast the rod, I found that short belly spey lines worked well along with the switch lines being offered now, and you can easily match the rating on the spey or switch line to the blank rating.

Now I know I am going to open a can of worms here, switch rods have no business being rated for line weights that are comparable to standard single hand fly rods. It does nothing but confuse people. They should only rate these sticks on the grain window that is needed to load them. Yes, there is a pretty wide grain window for these blanks, but it does give you a better idea of what type and weight of line you need to start with depending on the cast style and type of fishing you are going to use the rod for. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think you will be unhappy with the Batson blank, you'll just need to play around with a few different lines to find the ones that will suit your casting style and fishing needs.

Posted by: Skipp Hughes (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2012 07:40PM

I like my 5 WT Batson a lot..... The grain window is 140 to 280 I like a 240 for it myself..

Posted by: david mastrude (---.dhcp.crcy.nv.charter.com)
Date: September 03, 2012 03:44PM

This just in:A famous,well respected,un-named rod builder claims that many of the off shore builders are using UV glue.
This is fast,ultimately resulting in more profitsbut is not wthout it`s problems,apparently.
UV can`t take the rigors/demands of heavy pressure a will fail over time.
Anyone notice this..especially Beulah owners>
I don`t mean to start a rumor,but I want to know the limitations of this stuff.I ve been using it for
line construction,fly tying,other things...

Also,I have built Batson,Meiser and ACR.
ISince the warrantees are virtually identical,I won`t be buying any more Batson blanks.
compared to the world class performa nce of both Meiser and ACR don`t really cost too
much more,I don` think yhey are worth it...too flimsy feeling,"noodley"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster