I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji split-grip handle kit
Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns4.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 01, 2012 06:10AM

Hi all,

I would like to order a couple of these Fuji split-grip handle kits from Mudhole.
[www.mudhole.com]

Looking at the butt section of the grip, is the composite butt cap separate from the grip, such that you glue the the grip on first and then the butt cap?
Or is the composite cap actually part of the grip?

Secondly, do you know if these kits comes with a graphite arbor (shim), or do these need to be bought separately?

Thanks

Dale

Hobart, TAS
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji split-grip handle kit
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 01, 2012 06:41AM

Hi Dale,
Ray Balmforth has been using those reelseats and there is a trick to getting it right. I think he was using the full length version and not the split. If he doesn't respond then send him an email.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2012 11:12AM

The composite cork material is a part of the butt end section. There is no reel seat arbor with the kit. Thaks for inquiring about our products.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: August 01, 2012 07:17PM

Thanks Bob.

The next part of my question is - Do you ream out that rear grip section and slide it down the blank from the tip end, or do you fit it onto the blank from the butt end?

If there is no butt cap in the traditional sense, how do you cover up the hole after you have reamed it out?

(Of course I might be on the wrong track here)

Thanks

Dale
Hobart, TAS
Australia

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2012 09:09AM

Fit it from the but end, with short fighting butts you do not experience much taper in the short amount of blank that it is on, so fitting it from the butt end and gluing it on with no hole is no big deal, however it is a bit of a pain reaming it out since you have to use the tip of your reamer/file. I try to very carefully get the hole as close as possible with a drill bit in a drill press with this particular style, then I fine tune it with a rattail file.

Date: August 02, 2012 06:26PM

Thanks Zachary.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 03, 2012 12:04AM

Dale
It may help as well, if you drill out the butt cap on a drill press using a Forstner type drill bit. That bit has a perfectly flat bottom, not a taper on the bit thus eliminating a lot of extra cleanout in the bottom. I set my stop on the drill press so the bit stops at the composite cork.

Another advantage is since you are drilling in a cap with a hole already in it the forstner stays very true on the cut.

Hope this helps

Tom
Tom's Custom Rods and Repair

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster