I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tm1
Posted by: james gregory (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 08:58PM

How many out there have used the tm1 rod finish?pros and cons please.would like to try it.thanks,Jim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tm1
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 11:05PM

Never heard of it. Are you asking about high and lite build Thread Master?

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2012 12:07AM

I believe he is asking about Threadmaster 1. Which is a one part epoxy and uses water for clean up.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has used it as well.

Tom
Toms Custom Rods and Repair

Posted by: james gregory (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 25, 2012 06:30AM

Yes,I am talking about the thread master 1.i know someone has used it .lets hear about it.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 25, 2012 06:45AM

I have not used it but if you search on here there has been discussions. It seems the consensus is it works great for repairs where you don't want to mix up and waste a bunch of 2 part finish but for new builds stick to the 2 part.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2012 06:46AM

Here is my sale page for Threadmaster, Chromaseal, and Pro Kote, as well as my mix kit: [northeastrodbuilders.com] I have my personal observations, I was one of the testers of Threadmaster prior to it being sold on the market and have been using it ever since, and now I sell it.

EDIT: I just saw this was for TM1, which I do not sell or use.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2012 06:48AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: July 25, 2012 07:43AM

I worked with Scott to get this to market. It is an outstanding alternative to the 2 part for freshwater Fly and any other rod where a high build is not necessary. Regardless of how thick you apply it, it condenses and leaves a nice level finish. Drying time is much less than 2 part and is dry to the touch in about 4 hours. Multiple coats can be applied with no prep between coats.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: July 25, 2012 08:57AM

Like anthing, it has a learning curve.
Poke at it less than TM regular or Lite.
Do NOT get heat near it, it skins over and gravity cannot act on it to level it then.
Put in on and leave it works best.
Do not be tempted to wick it away, it will dry flat.
Its very useful to me for repairs, in winter with very dry air and it being water based it set up very fast. Not like PG fast but 15 to 30 minutes and it was good.
In summer and right now Memphis being like living in the mouth of a Rabid Rottweiler, it dries much slower, around 2 hours and its good for second coat.
My oldest rod with it on is only 5 months old but it has stood up well to rod rash and general scuffs( a bit tougher tham TM lite maybe) and not yellowed as yet.
I put a coat of it on clear plastic next to TM lite and the TM lite is more yellow when held up to the light. One sample does not a proper test make.....

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: July 25, 2012 12:50PM

There are some application suggestions on our website www.roddancer.com please refer to that for some of your questions. it is a clear finish that stays clear indefinately. Do not use heat with this it does not work.
Scott

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: July 27, 2012 11:44AM

Belay my query on the tm post above.... I just noticed this thread, where the cure-to-tack-free time is showing. Thanks, KD.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 27, 2012 03:36PM

I just ordered some to try I like the idea of only one part on rod repairs which I have done a lot of lately. Should really save on excess epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster