I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using the "soft & hard points on a blank
Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 24, 2001 11:26PM

I hope I don't "start something here. I'd just like to find out what you all folks "in the know" think about this.
1. The rods I build are for SW applications so pinpoint accuracy isn't a factor.
MANY years ago when I learned about spines from Dale Clemens book I built rods as per what I understood the book to say. I didn't (and still don't) have any special kind of "spine finder".
2. The method I use in locating the spine will also reveal the stiffest point on the blank as well. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the "stiffest point isn't necessarily 180 deg from the spine".
3. I decided to make this knowledge work for me in getting the blank to function more to my liking.That is: If I'm building a rod for bottom fishing especially for trout I'll build it with the guides on the softest side so that I'll have a little more cushion against the soft mouth of a trout. If I'm building a rod for jigging bucktails and jigs then I'll put the guides on the stiffest point .
Thsi is also a way to get a rod thats a bit too tight in the tip to comfortably cast a light lure; ie blank rated for 1/8 - 1 oz. build the rod on the softer side and it'll cst that 1/8th oz with a little less effort.
I expect most of you folks will take me to task about this and thats fine; in fact its why I bring it up. Can always learn from the Pros at this site.
Appreciate all commentary. Warren

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using the "soft & hard points on a blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 25, 2001 09:25AM

You are doing exactly what any good custom builder should do - utilizing the blank in the particular manner that gives you the specific fishing charateristics you desire.

There has always been a great danger in believing that there is only one correct postion in which to locate the spine, although many builders believe this to be the case. This notion was developed in large part due to the mistaken belief that spine position determined rod stability. As is becoming more widely understood, it is guide location that determines rod stability.

In the Q&A column in the volume 4 #4 issue of RodMaker, I mentioned that there are 4 basic positions involved in rod set-up; Guides on spine (outside of relaxed curve), Guides opposite spine (inside of relaxed curve), and guides on or opposite the stiffest axis, which is usually found along the blank's natural concave bend. Each will produce slightly different performance characteristics from the same blank. (You'll have to read the article to out the specifics of each - I'm too busy this morning to retype it all here!)

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster