I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What have you used to build rods that was never intended for rod building
Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: May 12, 2012 01:46PM

Thought it may be educational to learn what others have used for rodbuilding that was never intended to go on a rod.

My example is an epoxy I found at Lowes. Its called Glaze Coat and is a resin which is made to cover bar tops etc. This specific formula is formulated to not have a problem with air bubbles.

I have to say I love this stuff. It applies with ease and I have yet to have an air bubble remain in the finish. Even when I whip the mixture to mix. Right now im only using it for practice wraps and carbon fiber handle layups. If I knew the stuff was UV resistant and would not crack when bent I would use it as my finish of choice.

and dont get my started on my power wrapper which is a hodge podge of this and that...

any others ????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What have you used to build rods that was never intended for rod building
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 12, 2012 04:27PM

I think this should be an interesting thread. I just did a cork grip out of blocked burl with chevrons. For cork strips I used cork flooring squares and just sanded of the finish. For the white trim I used some kind of spacer material from Texas Knife Works. It turned out great. I'll start off with that and add more later. The cost of rod building materials are high and the profit margin is low so I'm always looking for ways to save a buck without sacrificing quality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2012 07:07PM by Brandon Gay.

Posted by: Mike Kyle (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 12, 2012 05:45PM

I used a few wild colored foam blocks from my kids play set. They are very durable and turned out really well after being turned on the lathe.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2012 05:53PM

so much of what we use in rodbuilding was not originally designed for rodbuilding, but someone has found it, tried it, and used it. think about abalone, carbon fiber, snakeskin, all kinds of handle materials, even epoxies. This is just a small idea of what we use. Everytime we see something and our creative mind thinks " hey I bet I could use that". How many troll through craft stores?

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2012 07:37PM

John is right on.This is all from builders trying different ideas and sharing.

I have sample materials of Corian, Counter tops. I cut with a holesaw and have used a few for the butt piece with a rubber plug. Credit cards, and auto motive gaskets for trim bands is all I can think of now.

Somewhere I heard a builder used a hex nut for a winding check he was building a rod for a mechanic.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2012 07:44PM

One of the most unique things I've seen on a rod that definately was never intended is Lana Preston's bead work.

Lana,
I salute you!

Leather has been used on rod handles for many years but I haven't seen anything like the stacked leather or stamped / tooled leather grips my dad &I have done. Probably been done before though. I've yet to see everything!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2012 01:11AM

Automobile door-panel trim retainers for butt caps-they come in all sizes.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 13, 2012 08:17AM

Hi Casey,
TIG welding wire for hookeepers, crafts sheets for inlays and you can even include madeira embroidery thread for all my thread work. I'm always keeping my eye out for stuff in craft stores etc and obviously so are a lot of others. People will find all sorts of stuff to use when you keep an open mind.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 13, 2012 08:27AM

Mike Barkley, where are you on this one? Mike uses all kinds of stuff you would never dream of.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 13, 2012 08:30AM

Fiberglass drywall tape arbors for reel seats are a favorite of mine.

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.spok.qwest.net)
Date: May 13, 2012 09:22AM

Don't know if this qualifies but off the top of my head.

Bark
Feathers in reels seats
Enviro Tex Lite - a water clear reactive polymer compound.
Waterborne polyurethane top coat

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 13, 2012 09:26AM

"crackle" nail polish

rog

Date: May 13, 2012 11:09AM

Ron Hossack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't know if this qualifies but off the top of my
> head.
>
> Bark
> Feathers in reels seats
> Enviro Tex Lite - a water clear reactive polymer
> compound.
> Waterborne polyurethane top coat

What is "Enviro Tex Lite " ?????? That name seems familiar but I just cant place where I have heard of it or used it for. Is it a casting resin?

Date: May 13, 2012 11:17AM

Casey Abell Wrote:

> What is "Enviro Tex Lite " ?????? That name
> seems familiar but I just cant place where I have
> heard of it or used it for. Is it a casting resin?

Not a casting resin per se ... 'a water clear reactive polymer' is probably a better descriped as a "Bar Top" type of finish and I got my small pint can from Hobby Lobby for $10 or so.

Now I expierment a lot (especially with finishes) and with this I cut it about 50% with isopryptl when used as a wrap finish.

Date: May 13, 2012 11:47AM

Okay I know what you are talking about now... I frequent hobby lobby A LOT. They have all sorts of cool stuff that can be used for rod building. Im guessing thats where I have seen the stuff you have used. Heck I have probably used it before.

On that note have you noticed any UV resistance problems when using it. To be honest I REALLY like this Glaze Coat stuff I get from Lowes. If I could be sure it had the UV resistance properties and would remain flexible I would use it as a wrapping resin. The stuff just lays out awesome and I cant even force it to have air bubbles. Right now im only using it for practice but may use it as the filler on CF handles. I am hoping that when top coated with an auto 2k clear there will not be any issues with UV yellowing.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 13, 2012 11:57AM

If you are using a 2 K clear I would stay with that
I have also played with this [www.klasskote.com]
And found it similar to an auto 2K

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2012 12:50PM

There are several E-Tex products that people in rod building talk about. EX-88 is one, it and does not have UV inhibitors. EX-74 however is said to be same as EX-88 but with UV inhibitors.

Back when Envirotex products were being discussed I contacted the company to ask some questions. I was told that unlike EX-88, EX-74 did indeed contain UV inhibitors but that it was only sold in industrial quantities. So I asked if I could get a sample quantity of EX-74. The woman I spoke with hemmed and hawed and then told me I could buy it in a craft store. The product's name is Easy Cast, sold as a casting resin for casting things like gems. If you visit the E-Tex site take a look at the MSDS's for EX-74 and Easy Cast. They're identical.

Eight ounce pack was around $10 at A.C. Moore. Though I've had the product for awhile I've only done one test wrap which hasn't been subjected to sunlight or put into use on a rod. Maybe some day I'll do a rod with it.
Jeff

Date: May 13, 2012 03:13PM

Casey Abell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On that note have you noticed any UV resistance
> problems when using it.

I don't know about any UV protection in the Enviroex protection but I do know that in the General Finishes High Performance it does have a UV Stabilizer.

> To be honest I REALLY like this Glaze Coat stuff I get from Lowes. If I could be sure it had the UV resistance properties
> and would remain flexible I would use it as a wrapping resin.

I'm going to guess that it doesn't. When I searched their site the only product listed with UV is Dura-Tuff Clear Coat is a superior strength polyurethane coating that provides a tough, UV and scratch-resistant, clear gloss finish.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2012 06:34PM

Envirotex epoxy is actually rebottled by more than one company for use as a rod building thread coating.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2012 07:03PM

Casey started a great thread. Sorry for taking it into an E-Tex direction. Back in 2004 I wrote to the forum about using binder clips to replace wing nuts on thread caddies. The idea seems to be catching on.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster