I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

is it smelly?
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: October 24, 2001 04:44PM

I want to try the LS supreme finish, but the problem is, the only place I have to apply finish right now exposes the other member of the household to the smell of it. Flexcoat so far has been OK, not too many complaints. does the LS give off a lot of fumes and smell as compared to flexcoat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is it smelly?
Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: October 24, 2001 05:10PM

LS Supreme does not give off any fumes and has absolutely no odor
Ralph O'Quinn
U-40 formulator

Re: Not at all !
Posted by: john bratton (---.eugene1.or.home.com)
Date: October 24, 2001 08:26PM

i have used all the epoxy finishes over the years the U-40 LS Supreme is the best i have ever used.I almost did not try it beacuse of the neg post i read about it.it is plane to me that the ones that gave the neg post eather had not used it or never read the instuctions.no oder no fumes you should use more speed on your dryer motor i use 40 to 50 rpm .l like the supreme so well i have switshed to all U-40 products I like them all.Ralph O'Quinn has a very good product. regards John Bratton

Posted by: Mike (163.206.48.---)
Date: October 25, 2001 09:20AM

Odor determination is pretty subjective. LS Supreme definitely has an odor although I wouldn't describe it as unpleasant. The family has noticed so I keep it confined to my den or even mix outside then bring in to apply.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 25, 2001 09:52AM

Everything has an odor, or smell, or whatever you want to call it. The "odor" of the Supreme is not noxious in any way, and I think that is what most people are talking about when they mention or ask about the odor of a finish or adhesive. Most of us are used to the noxious odor of solvent based products and it is easy to assume that epoxies are the same - most aren't.

You will notice that Supreme smells different than say, Flex Coat. This is coming from the particular type of hardeners used in the products. But no, they're not noxious and aren't offensive to most people.

Want to talk about "smelly" finishes? I work across the street from the Valspar complex. I don't know how those people make it through the day. I just hope nobody tosses a cigarrette in the wrong place or there will be no more RodMaker Magazine.

Agree with Kirkman
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.60.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: October 25, 2001 05:00PM

I have never used an epoxy or any solvent that did not have an odor. Flexcoat, LS and all others I have used have an odor. Some people are more sensitive to some odors than others. What smells bad to one person may smell like perfume to others.

I don't like the smell of LS but I continue to use it on repairs until I get used to it. It has some good properties that Flexcoat doesn't have but I still am not comfortable using it on customs yet.

The only way to know if it smells bad to you is to try it.

Re: Agree with Kirkman
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 25, 2001 07:30PM

Just crack the cap on the hardener and sniff it. That's how it will smell with mixed and applied. Not much of an odor I'd say. Can't imagine that mild smell would be offensive to anyone. Then again, you never know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster