I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo blank refinishing
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2001 08:46AM

Hey everyone thank you for all your help!

Im restoring a 7.5' 2 piece bamboo rod. I have reglued any
delaminated segments ,stripped all the components and sanded the old finish off.

My question is do I varnish the blank before I install the guides and then finish the wraps seperate or is the proper procedure to install guides and then varnish every thing together ?

Also, should I use a marine spar varnish or a urathane like Varithane 900 as I hear the V 900 is used by many for bamboo restoration.

Happy wrapping "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo blank refinishing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: October 24, 2001 09:38AM

I'll let the bamboo experts answer your particular questions, but I will mention that the current issue of RodMaker as an article by Russ Gooding of Golden Witch on how to finish (or refinish as the case may be) bamboo rods/blanks.

The article involves "dip finishing" which may be a tad more involved that you wish to get, but it does obtain perhaps the best finish possible for these rods.

Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2001 10:33AM

Tom thank you for all the help! This site is a wonderful resource!

I actually ordered my components from Golden Witch. Russ was not available to speak with but I know he uses Varithane 900 as his other half told me when I asked about finishes.

I would think if Russ is dip finishing the blanks then the guides would not be on the rod cuz they would get all gunked up.

Tom you may have answered one of my questions but it would be nice to hear some other thoughts and ideas.

Many thanks "John"

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: October 24, 2001 11:26AM

Actually, most of the bamboo builders do dip their rods AFTER the guides have been installed. If the finish is properly thinned and the rate of removal from the tank is correct, the guides will not show any particular build-up of varnish. I know it sounds hard to believe, but its true.

Posted by: Davesrods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: October 25, 2001 02:40AM

If I am doing a restoration I use Spar Marine Varnish and I wrapp rod and use color preserver on wraps then I use 4 coats full strength varnish and then dip my rod 4 times.. If I am doing a refurbished rod or a new bamboo rod I use Helmans Spar Urethane Varnish.. If you dip rod before wrapping I would wait about a week before you wrapp rod.. you want to learn more about bamboo rods check out www. clarksrods.com Thanks Dave

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: October 26, 2001 03:56AM

I know just enough to get in to trouble when it comes to bamboo, but I have been told and also read that you should never sand bamboo, only scrap the finish. For some unknowen readson sanding well rase the fibers on bamboo

Posted by: Dave's Rods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: October 27, 2001 03:19AM

Exactly right you should not sand...

Posted by: Chris McDowell (---.lanecc.edu)
Date: October 30, 2001 08:17PM

One reason not to sand a rod you are restoring is that you are essentially changing the taper from original. The finish should come off with the stripper alone. However, if your sanding was minimal and done with a fine grit, you didn't really hurt anything.

Posted by: Marty Bigley (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 31, 2001 09:52PM

Hi John,
I just finished refinishing a Montague Bamboo Fly Rod. My first. And I put on the varnish first and then wrapped the guides afterward's. I also used Marine Spar Varnish (3) coat's with a foam brush, and a light sanding between each coat with 000 steel wool, and a final polish with an all purpose polishing cloth, a must for anyone who build's or rebuilds Bamboo Rod's.You can get these polishing cloth's from Darrell at Angler's Collectible's for about $3.75. You can reach Darrell at www.vfish.net.Although It is my first rod I've done, It looks proffesionly done to me. And will continue to do my rod's in this manner. Good Luck
Marty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster