I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy flamability
Posted by: allen (---.ucc.usyd.edu.au)
Date: October 22, 2001 09:30PM

being so thick I would have thought that most epoxy components would have a very high vapour pressure and thus not be all that flamable. but when some epoxies dry they do give off quite an odour which is usually(though not neccessarily) a sign of a lowering of VP. Im just wondering if anyone has has any one ever tested or can elucidate on the flamable properties of epoxies at any stage of the process.

TIA

Allen Glover

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy flamability
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 22, 2001 09:41PM

I have watched people flame it with a torch and get it pretty darn hot! In fact, I have seen people put the flame right on the epoxy and heat it until it dripped off the rod! It did not ignite.

I know nothing about the flammable properties of epoxy so don't hold me to this --- somebody more involved in that aspect than me can answer it for you --- but I thought epoxies were made of solids and if that is correct it would seem that there is nothing to ignite in terms of vapor. Correct?

Re: epoxy flamability
Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.wff.nasa.gov)
Date: October 23, 2001 09:19AM

Epoxies can come in a vast array of chemical properties. As a Safety Professional I work pretty heavily in hazardous materials. Available on the web are a host of sites in which you can printout or down load Material Safety Data Sheets specific to the materials your using. They will give you all the technical data such as flash points, vapor density, lower explosive limits along with health hazard data, reactivity, and control measures. This information for most is hard to understand, but the most important information will be listed in the narritives such as Fire and explosion hazard data. This will tell you what to do and what not to do, and in event of fire what extinquishing agents to use. You will need to know manufacturer, manufacturer's reference (Part) number, and chemical name. This information is usually found on the product label. If you have this information drop me a e-mail and I'll do the search and send it to you. Please remember that products change from one manufacturer to the next. MSDS sheets are specific to one product not a product line. They will usually differ from one epoxy to the next. Hope this helps. Take Care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster