I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RX8+ 822.5 or 823 for jigging/finesse spin rod?
Posted by: Frank Spewock (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2012 11:56AM

I have built a few rods on SC Avid & Batson blanks. Really like the RX8 822.5 I built last winter. Fish 90% for smallies in rivers. Have used it for everything from hair jigs to grubs to tubes. Very sensitive. Maybe feels just a little light when bringing a 1/4 jig through rocks. Planning a couple builds for later this month. Want to try an RX8+ based on what I've read. Would like to do another 822.5, but note there is also an 823. Quandary & indecision..

This would be mainly a jig rod, throwing 1/8 to occasional 3/8 jigs, mostly tubes, grubs, other plastics. Must have the sensitivity to detect heavy breathing in vicinity of jig. I have seen some comments on the 822.5. Has anyone built on the 823? What would be the practical difference between that and the 822.5?

PS Have been reading the Rodboard for a couple years, and it has walked me through the early leaning curve on building. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RX8+ 822.5 or 823 for jigging/finesse spin rod?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2012 12:30PM

Since you already have one 822.5 and find it a touch light, go with the 823 and use it for when you need a touch more backbone.

Good fishing.
Roger

Date: January 04, 2012 01:12PM

Roger,

I assumed that the 823 would be a bit stronger. But, since I have an XSB-782, and I plan to also build on a Lami LSJ783 this round, I already have some choices when I need a heavier application. I'm just trying to get some feedback on the 823 if anyone has built/fished it.

thanks,

Frank

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2012 01:34PM

Frank,

I fish both the RX8+ 822.5 and 823. The 823 has just a wee bit more power from tip to but. If the 822.5 feels just a touch light bringing the 1/4oz. jig through the rocks, the 823 should be just about right for you. For the most part, the 822.5 and 823 can be used interchangeably, making for a perfect pair of rods. I reach for the 823 when I want to throw light lures but need just a little more in the tip, for situations like you described, or when I want to fish heavier weightless plastics and small T-rigs or shaky heads. The 822.5 when I need just a little softer tip for casting smaller or more wind resistant lures, like 1/8oz. buzz baits.

To put it in another way, given the application of tossing grubs. The 822.5 is the perfect 1/8oz. jig rod, and the 823 is the perfect 1/4oz. jig rod.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 01:44PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Date: January 04, 2012 01:52PM

Joe,

Thanks. Exactly the feedback I was looking for. Looks like I'll be going with an 823.

Frank

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2012 02:19PM

Frank, you'll love the 823. We have them in stock if you're looking for one, we're glad to help.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Jan Kleinau (---.188.108.pools.vodafone-ip.de)
Date: March 28, 2015 08:54AM

Joe Vanfossen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 822.5 is the perfect 1/8oz.
> jig rod, and the 823 is the perfect 1/4oz. jig
> rod.

Hello!

I can't find these Blanks anymore in the latest catalog.
Which blanks from the new lineup are similar?

Which blank would you propose when I like to fish the texas-rig from 3 gramm to max. 7 gramm and slim plastics between 3.5'' and 4'' ?

Best Regards, Jan

Posted by: Jan Kleinau (---.188.108.pools.vodafone-ip.de)
Date: March 28, 2015 08:54AM

Joe Vanfossen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 822.5 is the perfect 1/8oz.
> jig rod, and the 823 is the perfect 1/4oz. jig
> rod.

Hello!

I can't find these Blanks anymore in the latest catalog.
Which blanks from the new lineup are similar?

Which blank would you propose when I like to fish the texas-rig from 3 gramm to max. 7 gramm and slim plastics between 3.5'' and 4'' ?

Best Regards, Jan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster