I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cork Jig
Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 04:16PM

Anyone using a shimming system for cutting 1 1/4" OD cork in the checkerboarding jig?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Jig
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 20, 2011 04:59PM

I don't use shims and have no problems at all. couple tips- when you slice you rings into 1/4" rings, glue light / dark rings back together. That way when you cut the wedges you can just flip every other wedge over and they will all line up perfectly. Also if you are using the jewelers say pitch it and get this one This is the best thing that I have found [www3.towerhobbies.com] The kerf is .010 and is the only thing thin enough to fit the round checkerboard jig. It's the ONLY one anyone has found that will fit in the jig. Buy 2, you'll be glad you did

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 05:58PM

The Zona is NOT the only one that works in the jig! There are a number of fine saws that are only .008 thickness that some of us use. I do use shims as I make my cuts so that I compensate for the reduction caused by the saw kerf as I make additional cuts. This is most important when cutting segments of 6, 8 or 12, as the cumulative effect of the kerf compounds! The shims I use are .008 plastic strips that I place in the cut right after making it. Doing this makes each segment exactly the same as the others.....no slop!

The reason for using shims, is that as an example, if you make two cuts using a .010 kerf, you have now taken .040 out of the circumference of the disk, more cuts....even more!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 06:55PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: December 20, 2011 08:49PM

Phil, what other saws have you found? The more options, the better. I know what you are saying about the saw removing material and I agree that you end up with a slightly smaller diameter ring but for me, it just hasn't made enough noticeable difference to be any problem

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2011 10:53PM

I think this one is supposed to be really small. Mark Crouse had one at the Expo last year and from what I could see it is really thin. You can't hardly see the teeth on the blade.

[www.mudhole.com]

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: December 21, 2011 11:10AM

Yeah David, that is the "Jewlers saw." Problem with it is trying to keep from breaking the very very thin blade, especially when slicing cork into thinner discs.. One must keep a supply of blades on hand.

Mike, one of the saws I have is a Gyros Brass Back Razor Saw." Kerf is .008 60 extra fine teeth per inch.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 21, 2011 12:37PM

I have found Buck Bros junior hacksaw blades in Home Depot Not as thin but fit well in the jig Fine tooth for metal cutting
Just a tad longer Have not tried them yet But seem to hold well in the handle

They have pins on the ends but they can be taken out easy

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 12:57PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 21, 2011 01:02PM

I also have had problems with the saw an blades have tried a couple of type of saws, the best I found is a good '' fret saw ''woodworking saw, an the blades you can get from a saw blade place sales in Tenn.
about $10 for per 100 the fret saw holdes the blade tight an taunt, when I put the pie shapes together use 2 tie raps per ring you will use a lot unable to reuse [one time use only] , Bill

Date: December 21, 2011 03:16PM

Phil,

Just found your saw on Amazon.com [www.amazon.com] and ordered one.Looks almost identical to the Zona but I really like the smaller kerf, more teeth, reversible AND replaceable blade!!

THANKS!!! I owe you a drink at the Expo!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: December 21, 2011 04:31PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Zona is NOT the only one that works in the
> jig! There are a number of fine saws that are only
> .008 thickness that some of us use. I do use
> shims as I make my cuts so that I compensate for
> the reduction caused by the saw kerf as I make
> additional cuts. This is most important when
> cutting segments of 6, 8 or 12, as the cumulative
> effect of the kerf compounds! The shims I use are
> .008 plastic strips that I place in the cut right
> after making it. Doing this makes each segment
> exactly the same as the others.....no slop!
>
> The reason for using shims, is that as an example,
> if you make two cuts using a .010 kerf, you have
> now taken .040 out of the circumference of the
> disk, more cuts....even more!

Phil,
Do you use a shim between each blade slot? I was toying with making shims from craft foam or balsa sourronding the cork ring and cut through them with the cork but they would only be a one shot deal. I'm using the saw that came with the jig kit and the only blade problem I have iswhen getting too agtressiive on the burnt cork. Like my dear old pappy always said, let the saw do the work!!

Posted by: Mark Mulanax (---.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 21, 2011 09:40PM

I use this saw and it works just great for me anyways,

From Harbor Freight
Japanese Flush Cut Saw

Item # 39273 Manufacturer: Topman
Topman
Only:$9.99

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2011 11:16PM

Jim, I use a thin plastic material (it is pieces of old xray film I got from my dentist) that is .008 thick. When I make the cut across the ring, I place a piece of the film in the cut on each side. This fills the kerf area where the cork was removed by the blade. I do this for each subsequent cut, which keeps the diameter the same as the original while cutting, thus each segment is exactly the same size.

The nice thing about the Gyros saw is that it is rigid (back of blade is reinforced) so there is no chance of breakage and you do not have to "baby" the cutting process. Xacto also has a saw that is .010 thick, but it will only cut about 1/2" thick, OK for segmenting, but no good for slicing.

Date: December 22, 2011 04:36PM

Phil,
I'm talking about the smaller 1 1/4 OD rings in case you missed that. I'm not worried about material lost and shimming the kerf.
The jig is for 1 1/2" OD the 1 1/4" rings are too lose. How do you securley center the ring in the jig?

Date: December 22, 2011 07:28PM

Not familiar with a 1 1/2" jig, I only do fly rods so use the 1 1/4" exclusively. As you need approx. 1/8" to fill the gap, have you looked at 1 1/2" PVC pipe? I believe it is very close to 1 1/4" ID.

Date: December 23, 2011 12:34AM

Who makes a 1 1/2" jig?? I have a couple different sets and they are both 1 1/4.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: December 23, 2011 08:59AM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who makes a 1 1/2" jig?? I have a couple
> different sets and they are both 1 1/4.

Your right guys, sorry, my bad. The jig is 1 1/4" and the rings are 1 1/8"

Date: December 23, 2011 09:01AM

I found one that was three in one wedges - pies and turn it over a thin ring slicer Cool []

Then Who does make a jig at 1 1/2

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 09:13AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 08:10PM

1 1/8" rings? Odd size, every one I have ever found was either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2"

Date: December 24, 2011 08:52AM

wrap tape around the rings

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 24, 2011 02:36PM

there is one cork sliser that will do the 1 1/2 inch rings [make pie cuts] not just rings don't recall who puts to gether but look around if you want one it is still avalible I think it cuts are 2/ 4/ 8 the one mudhole sells is 2/ 3/ 6/ 12 they all work, it is all in the way you go at it, an what you want as the end cut, Bill

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster