I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

making a 14 " HANDLE for a SPEY
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 10, 2011 01:25PM

I am about ready to build a 14 " handle from rings on a steel rod, as the rings will be tight on the iron rod, I was going to glue up about 2/3 of the handle, after the glue is dryed make sure it is moveable on the rod then build the rest of the handle on top of the frist section, that way I won't have to worry about the whole handle stuck, just the last section that was glued , I will be useing a drill to turn the whole handle after it is all dryed do I have the correct way or should I just glue it all at one time , I have built a few handles for FLY rods [they are all short] any input the onesI have built turned out just fine no problems in the way I have finished them
BILL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: making a 14 " HANDLE for a SPEY
Posted by: Skipp Hughes (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2011 01:27PM

Wax the steel rod and you should be Ok to do it all at once

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 10, 2011 01:34PM

You can also make the handle in two sections and when glued onto the blank a tight fit and little sanding and you should not see a thing

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2011 04:29PM

William,
I have done many such handles on a threaded rod. By using a threaded rod, just go ahead and glue up the rings to form the grip.
After the glue has dried, turn the grip as needed.

Then, just chuck the rod into a drill , hit the reverse switch and unscrew the rod from the grip. By using the threaded rod, rather than a smooth rod, the rod can be easily unscrewed from the finished handle.
Then, ream as needed and glue up the rod blank.

REW

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: December 10, 2011 07:55PM

I pre-drill the cork rings to like 3/8" and use a waxed 3/8" rod for the glue up. Shape the whole 14" grip, it will push off the mandrel and there is less reaming than 1/4" hole.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 10, 2011 08:18PM

THANKS FOR THE HELP
BILL

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 11, 2011 10:31PM

Why not glue directly to the blank and turn the whole thing on the blank.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster