I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Posting Custom Rods
Posted by: Dane Newman (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: November 19, 2011 06:15AM

Just wondering what is everyone's preferred method for shipping their completed custom rod/s to the customer? My major concern is with posting very thin-tipped graphite (i.e. ultra expensive) rods.

Also, has anyone experienced any problems when doing this (i.e. broken rod upon arrival, unreliable courier, etc) and if so, who did they resolve it?

Thanks in advance,
Dane.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Posting Custom Rods
Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.metropcs.net.141.174.in-addr.arpa)
Date: November 19, 2011 06:30AM

Pvc pipe with end caps, cut it just slightly longer than the rod. I use bubble wrap wrapped around the entire rod then put some of the softer shipping foam at both ends. Same method we use at my other job to ship very fragile glass tubes and they survive, so I trust it for shipping rods.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2011 06:37AM

The main thing is that you don't want the rod to shift inside the tube. If the tube is slid and stops suddenly, and the rod continues moving and the tip hits the inside end of the tube, you'll likely have the rod break about an inch or two behind the tip. So secure the rod so that it cannot move inside the tube.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2011 08:13AM

tie the rod to a 1x2 piece of wood that is a few inches longer than the rod. When the package is thrown around the wood will bounce around not the rod

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 19, 2011 08:52AM

I secure the butt end of the rod with cord or tape to one end of the tube to prevent shifting which would allow the rod tip to contact the tube cap.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2011 03:24PM

Billy,

That's a great idea.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 19, 2011 09:38PM

Yes, great idea Billy. I have received blanks with the tips of the blanks protruding through the plastic cap. Luckily none of them were broken.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2011 08:21AM

Good Shot Billy!

Also place in piece of split foam pipe insulation found at all hardware stores.

Tube is not cardboard for six foot or longer rods - electrical conduit preferred - stronger cheaper

Clearly mark the butt end of the rod on the outside of the shipping tub and send instructions for proper removal of the rod prior to shipment to client

I mark the butt end on the outside with red tape or Marks_A_Lot and tie a loop of cotton cord for a pull string and tape the end of the pull string were it is easily accessible when the butt end cap is removed.

Do not mark the outside with Valuable Custom Fishing Rod - Known Pawn Value Too High of a Temptation!

Insure

Verify Label Address Correct On Shipping Label ( Yours and shippers)

Ship Out On Monday (Do not want it sitting in a locations over the weekend - tube is in danger while it is a spectator to forklift suicide battles)

Do Not Ship On Holiday Weekends (temporary drivers)

On Line Tracking Number (this eliminates one option) Carefully monitor the tracking until it arrives safely and validate condition at arrival.

After shipment take sedative until it arrives safely at site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2011 11:15AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 20, 2011 12:25PM

what ever you use it can be damaged, but the water pipe with the glued & screwed on caps is about as good as it gets , one word make sure it don't rattle in the tube an drill a............... """ very small""" hole in the tube so air can come an go [ 1/32" will do ] I have had the tubes split with out the hole, an some foam in both ends, will help
good luck Bill

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2011 09:53PM

Bill, I also use a string tied to the butt end and mark tube as which end to open. With the string tied to the butt and taped to the the tube, the tip wont be rocketed toward the end cap and break it.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: November 21, 2011 02:05PM

Make sure you put a "Non-conveyable" sticker on it. All the broken rods I've seen, the pvc pipe was folded near the middle.

Posted by: Dane Newman (---.wehi.edu.au)
Date: November 22, 2011 12:47AM

Great discussion lads, thanks for your help!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 22, 2011 09:58AM

I use sewer pipe PVC or what ever it is it is light
I take news paper pages roll them up and tape to the blank starting at the butt end Do this all the way up
Then as I put it in the tube I roll more and pack it in as the rod goes into the tube
I make sure there is at least an inch overlap on each end

Don't put a heck of a lot cause it will get tight as it goes down in

keeps the rod centered light in weight and tight and no shifting
Pack the tip well

I wright Fragile in Red marker on the tube ( not sure if it helps ? )

Wright on the address on the tube and then clear lacquer it - when dry - so those guys don't rub it off

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Kerry Way (---.fv.ks.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2011 09:13PM

i ship rods in 2x4 pvc downspout tube. the square shape fits rods better than round tube. i also tape the rod to a strip of wood so that the tip doesn't hit the end of the tube.

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2011 10:20PM

Lots of good ideas here. I use whatever pipe I have handy or beefed up cardboard like MudHole ships in. I use this to pack the rod: [www.lowes.com]. It's heavy and cheap. Cut off a length a few inches longer than the rod, spread out the plastic and roll the rod up until you have a bulky wrap that will fill your container, roll over the ends and tape it up. Stuff the ends so the rod can't move back and forth in the container. Have been lucky I guess, have never had an issue shipping this way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster