I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need a little help with blank selection, please
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.capoc.army.mil)
Date: October 20, 2011 01:52PM

My buddy approched me about building a rod for his father as a gift. He is not really a fisherman so he asked his mother for some help in IDing some of his rods. This also has failed.
Here is what I know:
He lives in Bonida Springs, FL and does a lot of back bay fishing for reds in the 8-20lb range (spinning)
If anyone lives in the area or does a similar type of fishing and could steer me in the right direction I would be greatful.

Thanks much,

Eric

Lino Lakes, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need a little help with blank selection, please
Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 01:58PM

Hi Eric,

The Batson Inshore Popping Series would be what I would suggest without more information on how he is fishing. The IP843 is probably one of the most widely used blanks for inshore trout/red fishing. Extremely versatile and is light on the pocket book. [www.getbitoutdoors.com] Feel free to call or email us anytime, we'd be glad to help.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: October 20, 2011 02:39PM

It would help to know the lures and pound test he fished.

Popping blanks are common solutions. Mag bass and hot shot could fit the bill too depending on hows and whats.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 02:41PM

Based on my experience, the MHX P843 or SJ843 would be my first choices. I'd let the style of fishing be my final deciding factor. If he's throwing live bait of popping corks, go with the P843, if he's throwing plugs go with the SJ843. Both blanks are available in the original & the high mod series with the SJ843 also in the new white line up.
While we don't get snook this far north in Florida after the past couple of winters, these blanks have hooked and landed bull reds, sow trout, cobia, tarpon and mackerel (spanish & king) without missing a beat, so they shouldn't be a problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2011 02:41PM by matthew jacobs.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 02:46PM

I think you are talking about Bonita Springs. I am in Tampa and have built several inshore flats spinning rods. I am currently building an inshore rod for larger reds and snook on a P904-2-MHX from Mudhole. It is a 7'6" popping rod rated 8 -15 # with a lure weight of 1/4 to 5/8 oz. It is a 2 piece rod, although they do have the blank in 1 piece. I haven't finished it yet, but I think it is going to be perfect for that application.

I also build lighter inshore rods, mostly popping rods in the 6 -12 # class, but I think this may be lighter than what you are looking for. I think the action of popping rods is best for flats fishing, although some people like spin/jig or even Mag Bass rods.

I build a lot of fly rods on Batson/Rainshadow blanks but have not used their spinning blanks. I sure the IP843 would also be a good choice (it is a 7' popping rod).

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 03:03PM

Just my personal opinion, the SJ843-MHX blanks is one of the most versatile blanks going, as suggested by Matthew. The P904-MHX that Bob suggested is a great blank as well. The Sj843-MHX can be used for lures, plugs, jigs and bait. It has just enough tip to cast and combined with a powerful mid and butt section for fish fighting. I do understand that you said it was a "Gift" and too many questions asked to the receiver of the gift could tip the surprise, but as suggested, if you could gather a bit more info as to how he fishes for the Reds would really help narrow down a precsie suggestion.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 07:04PM

Eric, Kevin at Get bit is down in that area and is a pleasure to do business with. Give him a call. I have had both the above mentioned blanks in my hands and I choose to build on Batson. The XP 843 is a perfect redfish blank. Now if the norm down in Florida is 20lb reds, something quite a bit stouter will be needed. Slot reds here in Texas top at the 8lb range. The XP 843 is a perfect all purpose blank.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 08:42PM

sj 843 or sj844. i have the p 904-2. dont like it as much.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.50.186.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 08:52PM

Brandon Gay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now if the norm down
> in Florida is 20lb reds, something quite a bit
> stouter will be needed. Slot reds here in Texas
> top at the 8lb range.

That's what we get over here in slots but just like your waters, bulls and breeding size reds are an occasional catch.

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 10:14PM

Very good info here, but I would add another choice. IF budget is a strong consideration, then you can't go wrong with this blank: [www.mudhole.com]. The IS701M is rated for 14-18# mono and does an excellent job on Reds. Built one last year for my 12 year old grandson, and took him down to Lafitte on a charter. He hung Reds from just keepers to 8 pounders on that spinning rod, and did it without a hitch. Very reasonably priced IM6, you can't go wrong. If it's for somebody that doesn't fish a lot especially, it's perfect.

Date: October 21, 2011 09:54AM

Wow, what a responce! Thanks for all the information I will continue to "fish" for information but it is coming 3rd party so for what it is worth I might just shoot for the middle. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks much!

Eric

Date: October 21, 2011 12:34PM

A little more information here

Live bait most of the time with some lure work mixed in from time to time.

12-15lb line

8-12lb fish with some going as high as 20lbs

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 12:45PM

Eric Viburs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A little more information here
>
> Live bait most of the time with some lure work
> mixed in from time to time.
>
> 12-15lb line
>
> 8-12lb fish with some going as high as 20lbs

The SJ843 would be the pick of the litter in my opinion.

Date: October 24, 2011 01:36PM

Sounds like a winner, SOLD! I will place the order in a few days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster