I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Popping blank Models
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afnoc.af.mil)
Date: October 05, 2011 01:29PM

I've got a customer who is looking for a 7' one power popping rod. I loaned him my Batson IP841, and as I figured before I loaned it out, I told him the tip was not as fast as he was looking for. I can find a boatload of two power popping rods, but not so many one power rods. Does anyone know of any other manufacturer that makes a one power 7' popping blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Popping blank Models
Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2011 02:05PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what are you refering to when you say one power and two power. I build mostly fly rods (though I do build some saltwater popping rods), but I have never heard of these designations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 02:52PM by Bob Riggins.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2011 02:26PM

Andrew -

I would suggest that you look in the Walleye RX8 series, specifically at the XSW72ML. IMO, it is an ideal blank for what you seek.

Jim -

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afnoc.af.mil)
Date: October 05, 2011 03:00PM

Jim,

That model is too heavy, I need one for throwing lighter baits, 1/16th oz in size.

Bob,

The power is indicated as the last number the blank I have an IP841, IP is the rod series, 84 is the length in inches(7'), and it is their 1 power. They have 0-5 power for that series. The tips is considered mod/fast, he is looking for a similar power rod with a faster tip than the Batson rod has to offer.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 05, 2011 03:15PM

The MHX P842, while listed as a 2 power, might be just what you're looking for. The MHX P842 Hi Mod would work as well as the tip is slightly faster than the original series.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2011 03:19PM

How about a 1 power spin jig?

Joe

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2011 04:28PM

Have you thought about extending the ISJ781? That blank is 6'6 and a 6 inch extention wouldn't hurt it any. That could be your ticket. We have plenty pieces of blanks laying around the shop we can size up for you.
[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 04:30PM by Get Bit Outdoors.Com.

Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2011 04:39PM

Hi Andrew,
Maybe you would consider the SJ841-MHX or the HM-SJ841-MHX while they are not specifically Popping rods both are Fast action and would work well. Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc.
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2011 04:44PM

The MHX blanks that Brook mentions are 7 ft models. As another alternative for a even a lighter Spin Jig model, that will be faster than a popping blank, is our SJ8600-MHX. It is actually 7'-2" and if your customer did not want to leave it at that length, you could take 2" off the butt.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 04:46PM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.33.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 05, 2011 08:41PM

Bob McKamey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The MHX blanks that Brook mentions are 7 ft
> models. As another alternative for a even a
> lighter Spin Jig model, that will be faster than a
> popping blank, is our SJ8600-MHX. It is actually
> 7'-2" and if your customer did not want to leave
> it at that length, you could take 2" off the
> butt.
>
> Bob McKamey
> Mud Hole Custom Tackle
> bobm@mudhole.com

I forgot all about that one. Thanks Bob.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: October 06, 2011 11:27AM

Bob,

What is the difference between the SJ8600 and IP840?

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2011 11:35AM

Well Tom, I really can't make a direct comparison, since we do not have a IP840. I can tell you this, for the most part, true popping blanks are moderate to mod/fast and our SJ8600 is a fast action blank.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2011 12:46AM

MHX P842 OR 843 FOR THE EXTRA POWER.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: October 07, 2011 03:27PM

If the SJ8600 is just a little shorter version of the SJ9000....and it appears to be....that is a hot shot blank. It is very fast action, very light tipped, but with a lot more power than I think you want in the butt of the rod. It will cast the lighest of offerings. If I was in open water with no structure to worry about I wouldn't be afraid of a 30# plus fish.

Still you can enjoy a blue gill on it. But it is way more rod that a one power popping rod IMHO. Now it may not bear any relationship to the SJ9000.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster