I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule care
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 26, 2001 05:07PM

I am not sure what is the best route to take for caring for my rod's ferrule. Two piece graphite rod with the top over bottom section ferrule. I have heard that wax is good, bad and indifferent. What should I use? Nothing? Anything? How long do these ferrules usually last before they will no longer hold together? This is a fairly expensive blank if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule care
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.012.popsite.net)
Date: June 26, 2001 05:51PM

I heard that Parrafin/Wax is no the best idea for use on the Ferrules. Not 100% sure here, but I think it picks up dirt/dust/stuff that will adhere to the male section and possible damage the female section.
I just put some U40 Ferrule Lube on a 2-piece Bass rod I built. Now I haven't fished it, but I have been toying with it to see if it works as advertised. So far: no build up of whatever the material/Lube is; keeps the two sections together nice and firmly; taking apart the rod and rejioning it is nor problem. I applied it as per the instructuions.

I'm sure Ralph will chime in here, as he was the one to tell me Parrafin = no good in the first place.

Good luck, Billy

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.43.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: June 26, 2001 09:47PM

After much experimenting, I have found that for my work I don't use or recommend any lube.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: June 27, 2001 03:06AM

Billy is correct. Do not ever use paraffin on your ferrules, even though there are still rod manufacturers out there that still insist on recommending to use it. It is a continuous bewilderment to me why so much ignorance exists in the industry. Graphite and/or fiberglass ferrules are fit with a very close tolerance, parafin simply cannot be absorbed within that tolerance. I have seen perfectly good, practically new ferrules split because of the application of paraffin. parafin then collects dirt and grime which acts as an abrasive. Graphite to graphite or fiberglass to fiberglass is quite abrasive in itself and untreated ferrules wear down severly quite prematurely. Oils and greases are no good, you need something dry. That is the reason for the development of Ferrule Lube. Ferrule Lube is designed to do all the good things that a ferrule needs without any of the bad things that they don't need. It is dry (after a few seconds to evaporate the carrier), and has no film buildup. Its lubricating qualities are imbedded within the surface of the male and female ferrule. While in place it actually assists in the ferrule to be tighter than is is without it. There is never any sticking, and wear is reduced about 99%. No rod ever leaves my shop with an application of Ferrule Lube.
Ralph

Learn something new every day!
Posted by: Mike Bolt (63.50.54.---)
Date: June 27, 2001 06:48AM

Will give it a try Ralph.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster