I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread tension / rod wrapper question
Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: September 13, 2011 09:14PM

Hey all im gathering parts etc to build a rod wrapper. What do you all feel is the best method for adjusting the tension of the thread. It seems like I see wrappers built which adjusts how hard it is to turn the spool. Others have another sort of mechanisim which the thread runs through which adjusts its tension without messing with the thread spool.

Which do you all feel is best ????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread tension / rod wrapper question
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2011 09:36PM

Spool tension is better as it dont touch the thread . At the squeeze point of the other type you have potential for fuzzies and tearing of metalic thread. When I made a homemade wrapper I used a thread bobbin to control the tread. I still use it at times.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: September 13, 2011 09:59PM

Okay thats a good point.. so what is the preferred way to build a spool tension device???

thanks

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 13, 2011 10:17PM

I only use bobbin holder like fly tiers use. It gives me full control of the thread. I have a thread tension device built with all thread, washer, and springs, but I tend to hold the thread. With a bobbin holder, you can set it down and the weight of it will keep the wrap in place if you need both hands for something. I do my tiger wraps holding two bobbin holders in one hand and threads never get twisted and stay tight together.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2011 11:07PM

4" 1/4 all thread 3 washers cut from a milk jug , 3- 1/4"fender washers and a wingnut. washer on bottom then plastic washer- spool-plastic washer -fender washer Spring for tension and a fender washer on top

fender washer is just a larger Diameter washer

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2011 11:07PM

I use the tension device only for non metallic threads.
The tension device is the simple one where the thread runs through a set of spring loaded tension disks.
For non metallic thread this system works very well.

The main reason that I like to use the spring loaded tension disks is their utter simplicity, and ease of use. Drop the spool in the stand, run the thread through the disks and start wrapping.

For metallic thread, this system works very poorly.

When I do metallic wraps, I use a bobbin holder like the fly tiers use.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 14, 2011 12:23AM

Here are several methods of applying the tension to the spool instead of the threa [www.rodbuilding.org] I use the springs, screw covers and paper clips on my wrapper [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 14, 2011 04:51AM

Hi Brandon,
Made my own. A t piece of timber some 1/4 inch ss bolts, large washers, spring. wing nut and a fold back clip to hold it in place. You can count the turns on the wing nut so you always get the same tension. Mines set up to handle Madeira spools but its also got a spacer so I can also use the smaller spools. Used a couple of tips for the thread to pass through and also some spiral wound ss wire so I can remove the spool without cutting the thread when necessary. Will post a pic in my file.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2011 08:15AM

Any tensioner that applies pressure to the spool will result in an ever changing amount of thread tension. As the spool turns and thread comes off, the effective diameter of the remaining thread on the spool decreases and tension automatically increases.

This isn't a major problem, but something you should be aware of as the thread gets lower on the spool - make sure to test pull for tension regularly and adjust as needed so you're not over-tensioning the thread.

Posted by: Rich Olson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2011 10:11AM

I've built a few wrappers for myself and others and have always used the spring tension method on them. On the wrapper I am using now, I have
recently switched over from springs to repelling magnets. So far, it has worked well for me. I find that the thread comes off a bit smoother, plus,
if the thread ever does jump off the spool (as Murphy's Law dictates it eventually will at some point), it is much easier to correct.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.245.---)
Date: September 14, 2011 10:56AM

If you are going to use threaded rod to hold the thread spool, cover an rod threads that are under the thread spool with plumber teflon tape. This results in a much smoother rotation of the spool.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: September 14, 2011 10:59AM

Rich,

What did you use for the magnets and where did you get them?

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: September 14, 2011 11:56AM

Mike Sledden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rich,
>
> What did you use for the magnets and where did you
> get them?

Sounds awfully like @#$%&'s Thread Tension Device.

Speaking of tension: I was in a discussion last week on whether a guide thread could be wrapped tight enough to cause a rod to break. Personally; I don't think so. I think that the thread would break first, but could be wrong. Comments?? TIA C2

Posted by: Rich Olson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2011 12:05PM

I picked up the magnets I am using from the "big @#$%& site", but there are also magnet and scientific supply sites that sell them. (K&J is a very
good site if you Google them, large selection and lots of info). You just have to make sure that the magnets you get are "axially magnetized", meaning
that the magnetic North and South are on the flat ends of the cylinder and not across the diameter. The ones I am using in the pic are 3/4"OD x 1/4" x 14"ID.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2011 03:17PM

I use all thread and springs, but I also use tension rods (spring steel). This allows me to actually turn backwards if needed or even walk away in the middle of a wrap.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: September 14, 2011 09:31PM

Rich Olson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've built a few wrappers for myself and others
> and have always used the spring tension method on
> them. On the wrapper I am using now, I have
> recently switched over from springs to repelling
> magnets. So far, it has worked well for me. I
> find that the thread comes off a bit smoother,
> plus,
> if the thread ever does jump off the spool (as
> Murphy's Law dictates it eventually will at some
> point), it is much easier to correct.
>
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> /photo/14458/title/magnetic-thread-tension/cat/all

That is awesome... I never thought about using magnets but guarantee my build will incorporate them. Great idea

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2011 11:14PM

Casey,
I purchased one of the @#$%& Magnet tension devices, but have never cared for it.

If you want it, you can have it for a few $$

If you are interested, drop me an e-mail. - hflier@comcast.net

Roger

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2011 02:04PM

Hm, I have used the spring-to-spool, spring-clamp-on thread and I did not like any of them! To much variable tension problems for me. I bought the @#$%& tension tray for my CPW and my issues went away immediately. There kinda spendy but the idea is sound in my opinion. Tom K made a good point in when the spool gets low you will be wanting to check for tension at some point. With these magnet type tension devises there's no question....just wrap! Good day Folks !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 17, 2011 03:26PM

I use the style from the Eco Wrapper Wing nut does not move at all no mater how much it is tight or loose

[www.therodshop.biz]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Sam Kirk (---)
Date: May 06, 2023 09:45PM

Thank you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster