I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread art?!?
Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 18, 2001 11:10PM

While I'm an admirer of intricate thread work and all of the beautiful work that's done with reelseats and grips I have absoluely NO desire to learn how to do it and don't want it on any of my rods. That being said I'm fascinated by it especially the bleeding of colors. Does Clemen's book "Custom Rod Thread ART" contain information regarding this "art"? If not can someone point me to some articles/books on the subject and the basics of thread weaving? I just want to learn about it and fool around with it this winter to stave off cabin fever. Warren

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread art?!?
Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.bp.com)
Date: October 18, 2001 11:58PM

Warren, I e-mailed you a few weave samples of work done in size A thread. You have come to the right place for answers to your requests. I'm sure others will have additional comments for you to draw from. Any further assistance let me know. Good Luck!

Pat Barnard

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: October 19, 2001 03:27AM

I enjoy weaving. The Dale Clemons book on thread Art is good. once you understand the basics you can design your own patterns

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 19, 2001 09:26PM

Not sure what you mean by 'bleeding'. If you're talking about shading then I think a past issue of RodMaker had a cover and a story on it. If you're talking about bleed-through from underlying threads then I think Clemen's book has that. St. John's cross?

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 19, 2001 09:32PM

Warren,
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, a video must be worth a million. One such video to peruse is by Doc Ski, a perfectionist to behold. But this shows first hand the weaving techniques he does and can actually be grasped. No really complicated tools or jigs as he shows. There are others showing color change such as Artie Hebert's video on weaves.
Good books on the subject exist, including the one mentioned. I find seeing it done first hand is the way to learn.
Certain club gatherings of rodbuilders have excellent masters of this techinque such as was seen with Don Morton at a rod builders Guild conclave in Nashville. Quite fascinating indeed, and yet it is mentioned only about 1% of anything about the techinque is known, meaning a lot lies ahead with artisans of the weave.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster