I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf rod blank and guide recommendations
Posted by: Ken Tong (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 04, 2011 12:53AM

I'm considering building a surf rod for northern California stripers (mostly near Monterey). I typically fish for black bass in lakes and trout in rivers, so this is outside of the norm for me. I've only ever built fly rods and light baitcasters/spinning rods for bass.
It would be a spinning rod. I'd like to use large plugs and poppers, will probably use braid, and that's all I know so far...
So, blank options? Single or double foot guides? Stainless or titanium? Underwraps? I can't imagine using a leader longer than 4', so I doubt any knots or connections will need to pass through the guides, nor will they ever be in freezing conditions, so what size guides? Reel seat material? I'm guessing cork tape...
Thanks,
Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf rod blank and guide recommendations
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2011 05:12AM

Batson Sw1088 or 1089 depending how heavy you will be throwing. both are just short of 9 ft. for 10 ft sur 1204 or 1265 Guide are a toss up Batson ,fuji,amtak? 30-20-16-10,8,8,8,and so on to fit
all but the 30 are single foot for a light tip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 05:17AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 04, 2011 10:48AM

More and more surf fisherman are jumping on the "K train". Using the New Guide Concept, see where a 20 ring KW stripper would fall or maybe a 25. Complete the reduction train with KL and then use the KT for running guides. Test cast and compare. I like a 5.5 running guide on big rods but you could probably go to a 4 with no problems. This layout is a little "new", but it's getting excellent reviews from some pretty picky builders. I suppose you could call it a "micro-build" but it's more about reducing weight than ring size. If you don't think a micro surf rod is for you, use size 6 running guides...now it's not a micro rod ;•)

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: August 04, 2011 11:24AM

I'm not against micros, I've built a few bass rods with micros, and they were excellent rods. Any other input on the guide materials? Do you use underwraps? Any other suggestions?

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 04, 2011 12:09PM

If you take good care of your equipment, the nod would go to polished stainless with ALCONITE® rings. If it usually stays in the back of your truck til next weekend (like my stuff), go with titanium and have a beer instead of washing rods.The titanium will cost more and so will all that extra beer you'll drink while you would have been washing rods, but in the long run...it's worth it.

I used underwraps on the last surf rod I built. I don't know why.

By the way, explore the CTS blanks

Posted by: Trung Diep (12.22.49.---)
Date: August 04, 2011 02:15PM

Hi Ken,

Where are you from? Im from San Jose, Ive built alot of surf rods for customer. My choice would be a Kencor blank ( Zebra or Manlewglass) if you can get your hands on those rods. Great blank!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another great blank is the Batson as mention above. As for guides, go with the New Fuji K series double foot. Very light. As for guide wraps, you can go with Double or Triple. But since you be building a popping rod, got with Double wrap. As for the handle, you can go with cork tape and X-Wrap shrink tube over it. Looks really nice. As for the reel seat you can go with graphite. Hope this helps.

Happy Wrapping

Trung

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: August 04, 2011 03:07PM

Thanks Trung,
I also live in SJC. Where do you get those blanks? How often you go fishing?

Ken

Posted by: Trung Diep (12.22.49.---)
Date: August 04, 2011 03:19PM

Hi Ken,

I get them at the fishery supply tackle shop in story road. She's a great lady. I think she still have some left but not blank ones.Factory wrap ones. You can strip them and rewrap them. I fished anychance I get but not lately. You can also try the Batson blanks if you cannot find Kencor.

Trung

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.sttl.static.dslblast.com)
Date: August 05, 2011 01:01PM

You may want to consider one of these as well [www.batsonenterprises.com]

Don't be fooled by the lure and line ratings they are extremely powerful blanks. I would look at the SUR1083F is your looking for two piece or go with the SUR1063.

Rod Blank Model # Rainshadow SUR1083F 9 foot two piece spin
Butt cap: BC19A
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: BS12-500 WILL NEED TO REAM TO FIT 12" eva REAR
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: CAH18CM-TC Alps aluminum seat TC color
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: BSF06-500 6 INCH eva REAR
Winding Check: BWC15
Hookeeper: TCHKL
Tip Top TCPCT08F08.0
1st guide from tip top Alps XPTCVDTCG08
2nd guide from tip top XPTCVDTCG08
3rd guide from tip top XPTCVDTCG08
4th guide from tip top XPTCVDTCG10
5th guide from tip top: XPTCVDTCG12
6th guide from tip top: XPTCVDTCG16
7th guide from tip top: XPTCVDTCG20
8th guide from tip top: XPTCVDTCG25
9th guide from tip top: XPTCVDTCG30

Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4-9-14.5-20.5-27-34-43-53-67

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster