I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new to rod building
Posted by: Jack Fraser (---.fftp.comporium.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 04:47PM

Being retired and spend most of my time on the water . I needed new rods (my wife dont understand) Thought of buying them and now I'm going to start making then. Im going to use the old ones that I have and practice on them This site has given me alot of info . took me a couple of weeks to build a winding mechine and that was lots of fun It would have cost me less if I just bought it on line . By the time I did all the running around I had more into it then I thought. Im sure I'll change it more then once before I get going but Im finding out that it can be habit forming and fun I have alot to learn and willing to give it a try.Enjoy everything on this site

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new to rod building
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2011 05:19PM

Welcome, glad to help anytime.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 06:24PM

Jack,

It's a whole new hobby in itself! Enjoy!!!

DR

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 06:24PM

Welcome to rod addiction! lol! Have a good one.

Posted by: larry pilgrim (70.41.168.---)
Date: August 03, 2011 06:55PM

I too am new to rod building. it is a disease with no known cure, i purchased all of my supplies to build a few rods for my own use as i too am retired. i started with 4 rods about 4 months ago , just last week I got another 4 to start on . I love the St Croix and the MHX blanks. I started pouring my own plastic baits a couple years back and now have thousands of them in every color, it is a toss up which hobby i like best this obsession with rod building seems to be ruling now. If you have half as much fun as I am having you will find it well worth your time and MONEY'S.
If you will stay on this sight you will get all the help you will need , these guys here are the best and will jump in and help anytime you need it . I hope you enjoy your new hobby.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2011 07:39PM

It is almost as much fun to build your own tools as it is to build a rod.

It just keeps growing build a few tools and use them a few times, re-build a few tools and use them a couple of times, Re-build a few tools bla, bla, bla. It just never stops. Just like the photo pages above. I could spend hours on it.

My only regret on rod building, I wished I had started a long, long time ago.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 04, 2011 01:12AM

Hi Jack,
Careful or you'll end up with as many rods as Larry's got plastic baits!!!!!! Once obtained the habit is impossible to kick and it doesn't matter how long you do it there is always something to learn. Take your time, practise new stuff before a build and the guys here will help when needed. You'll need a fat wallet or an understading bank manager. Enjoy the rods you build as there is something special about catching fish on a rod you've buit yourself. Good luck.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 04, 2011 12:54PM

As informative and helpful the members of this Forum are you will still not find more detailed and accurate information
than that which is presented in RodMaker Magazine. Frankly it is the single most comprehensive source of custom rod
building information available today.

I strongly urge you to subscribe asap as well as purchase any past issues for topics of specific interest to you.
It will be the best investment into the craft that you can possibly make.

Posted by: Trung Diep (12.22.49.---)
Date: August 04, 2011 02:19PM

Jack,

Now there is no turning back , welcome to the addiction. Everyone here is willing to help, Dont be afraid to ask.

Happy wrapping

Trung

Posted by: Jack Fraser (---.fftp.comporium.net)
Date: August 04, 2011 02:47PM

thanks alot guys for the feed back and yes this site will be a big help. I do have a question now, some where on this site I read about pigment for marilizing I know I'm getting ahead of rod building seeing that I just started but it looked cool to try . I went to Sherwim-Williams store where I buy all my paint an they gave me some . What my question is ,I know I can buy it from Mudhole but is pigment all the same. I think it is . Anyway Im going to try it when I get my first order of supplies in . Flex-coat ect

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: August 06, 2011 08:25AM

That should work fine.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: stanford yerger (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2011 09:05AM

Get a copy of Tom's book and by all means subscribe to the magazine.
Buy from the folks on the left. This board is the go to when your down?
Your need for a fishing licence will be aparent as time goes buy!!!!
It's a great hobby, enjoy, stan yerger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster