I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

30 tonnage graphite?
Posted by: Angelo Randaci (192.223.163.---)
Date: October 17, 2001 11:41AM

Can anyone explain what blank makers mean when they say that 24 tonnage or 30 tonnage of graphite cloth was used in building the blanks? How does that apply to modulus? Thanks Angelo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 30 tonnage graphite?
Posted by: Jason (St. Croix) (---.lax.customer.centurytel.net)
Date: October 17, 2001 12:51PM

I wish I could help you out Angelo, but that makes no sense to me and I use and purchase these raw materials weekly. I have heard of people use the (TON) verbage, in terms of rolling pressure that is applied when rolling the prepreg on the mandrels, but I don't go along with that either. Personally whenever I see these claims, it alarms me of who is making it and why. To put in perspective, think of it this way. The prepreg (graphite) material that we purchase is produce in the weight of (gsm or grams/sq. meter). Blank manufacturers range this weight from 115 - 130gsm for graphite prepreg on average. That is a far cry from 2000lbs or (1) ton. If you figure it out, please let me know. I am curious.

Take Care

Posted by: Angelo Randaci (192.223.163.---)
Date: October 17, 2001 01:44PM

Thanks Jason. Anyone else out there have answers?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 17, 2001 02:56PM

I suspect what they are saying is that they use 30 million modulus fiber, or 50 million modulus fiber or something to that effect. That would relate roughly to the stiffness-to-weight ratio of the material.

I have never heard the term "tonnage" used to describe any fiber or manufacturing technique.

Date: October 17, 2001 03:19PM

Maybe that would take care of our spine issues. We could squeeze the spine right out of it!

Had to throw that humor out there! I'm not trying to offend anyone.

Take care guy's

Posted by: Wes (---.worldaccessnet.com)
Date: October 17, 2001 04:27PM

Manufacturers in the far east do rate their graphite by tonnage. I have corresponded with one of these manufacturers and inquired as to what the different tonnage ratings meant. If I understand correctly, 30 Ton graphite is roughly equal to IM6 material. I can email that manufacturer again to clarify this and will let you know.
Wes

Date: October 17, 2001 05:16PM

Wes, try to find out what exactly they mean by 30 ton graphite, and why they give it that label. It sounds like you have the contact to find this out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Posted by: Wes (---.worldaccessnet.com)
Date: October 17, 2001 05:53PM

Jason,
Here is the reply that I had received a while ago when I tried finding out what they mean:
"We rank graphite fabric from 24ton, 30ton, 36ton,40ton and up.
General graphite rods are made with 24ton fabric, and using higher tons fabric for more stiffness. As you know very well, its from different modulus of tensile strength.
We know the IM6 fabric is quite close and almost same with 30ton fabric, so 30ton fabric made blanks are same as with IM6 blank. The 36ton fabric is a little bit more stiffer than IM8."
I can try to find out more information if anybody interested more on this topic.
Wes

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 17, 2001 09:17PM

Sounds like they use that wording to denote what we call modulus.

DNY Blanks!!
Posted by: Dorge (---.il.sprintbbd.net)
Date: October 18, 2001 02:52AM

Remember those Fuji blanks. They are also rated in tons. They have only two ratings; 30 ton and 42 ton. And I do remember that 1993 catalog stated taht the 30ton is very similar to IM6. I do still have a steelhead 8;6" rod made with the 42 ton blank. To be frank, I like it more than most. I am not sure 36 Ton is IM8. The 42 Ton I got feel a lot more crisiper than G Loomis's IMX but with the abuse I give it, it sure do not feel like GLX for I have easily broken a few. Too bad the DNY are no where to be seen and I sure like to get my hands on a few. Great price and extremely durable. May be St Croix and get some 42ton graphite and roll us a few!!

Good fishing (catching) <*)))))))><{

Re: DNY Blanks!!
Date: October 18, 2001 11:18AM

I thing William might be right. It sounds like they are using the (TON) term to catagorize the stiffness of certain materials. Much like we do with the modulus term. Interesting!

Posted by: chris-flying fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: October 18, 2001 09:31PM

I visited a far east factory, what Tom Kirkman said is right. 30 ton graphite is 30 million modulus, and so on and so on. This particular factory uses graphite from Korea.

Posted by: Michael McLeister (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2013 03:50PM

I purchased a Fenwick Silver Hawk spinning rod from Cabela's that boasted 30 ton construction. When I received the rod, the infomation tag hanging from the lower guide described the 30 ton rod as IM10 graphite. I am only further confused. My Abu Garcia Vendetta has a "30 Ton" sicker on it, but the blank could not be moe different from the Fenwick. Neither seems to be at all like rods made with IM6. The mystery continues. The answer has to be out there somewhee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster