I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Rod - Corbina
Posted by: Jamil Snead (---.arc-products.com)
Date: May 24, 2011 12:21PM

Hi all, I'm planning on building my first rod which will be mainly for surf fishing for corbina. I could use some help finding a good blank. Here are the specs I am looking for: 1 piece, 7'6" - 8', 6# line, 3/8-1/2 weight, moderate or mod-fast action. Does anyone know of a blank that fits that description? Or do you recommend anything else? I already have a 7'6" extra fast shimano clarus, so I want this one to be mod or mod-fast to try something different. Right now my top choices are the Lamiglas GFW90-2M or the Phenix X12-B. The lamiglas one is 2 piece though, and the Phenix says it is for 8-20, so will running 6# not be ideal? Also a guy at Tuner's suggested Seeker, so I'm also considering the SP753-1, but Seeker doesn't say what action the blanks have. It seems really hard to find a 1 piece rod over 7'. I know lots of people think it doesn't matter but lots also think it does, and for my first rod I think it might be simpler to not use a ferrule etc. I'm looking to spend around $100 for the blank.

BTW the rod will be matched up with a Shimano Stradic CI4 2500.
Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Rod - Corbina
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 24, 2011 01:22PM

You might want to look at the MHX CB903or the new MHX L902. The line ratings are going to be a little heavier than what you're looking at but but they'll both cast that range of lure weights well. Plus they'll both be great combos with that reel.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: May 24, 2011 01:35PM

Hello Jamil

That 6# throwing 1/2oz is a tough one, but the St. Croix 2SW76LM is a 6-12, 1/8-3/8oz, 7'6" Mod Action with a Light Power, Butt: .430, Tip: 5, A 1Pc. that weights in about 1.7oz. $90.00 at MudHole. pg 52.
Have a good one.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.sttl.static.dslblast.com)
Date: May 24, 2011 03:07PM

You will love fishing this one and would be great for working small top waters for the early morning explosions :) The RX7 IP902 is nice too if you want to shave some cost.

XP902
Rainshadow RX8 Inshore Popping

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # XP902-TC 7'6" 1pc Mod Fast medium light 6-12# 1/4-1/2oz - Titanium Chrome
Fighting butt: HESGFB1.5EVACC-350 Grip Split Fighting Butt High End EVA/Cork Comp 1.5" Long ID .350"
Trim ring for fighting butt: AWCCO453-TC Aluminum Winding Check .453" ID
Trim ring for Rear grip: AWCCO433-TC Aluminum Winding Check .433" ID
Rear Grip behind seat: HEFG3.5EVACC-250 Grip Fore High End EVA/Cork Comp 3.5" Long ID .250"
Reel Seat trim ring: TRS17-TC Trim Ring for Spin Seat size 17 TiCH
Reel Seat: GSTG17C-TC Threads down Textured Gray Graphite Spin Reel Seat w/Cushion-Real Light TICH
Reel Seat Shim: SHIM/17/SPIN .660" OD 4.05" Length
Fore Grip: HEFG2.5EVACC-250 Grip Fore High End EVA/Cork Comp 2.5" Long ID .250"
Winding Check: AWCCO384-TC Aluminum Winding Check .384" ID
Hookeeper: XDSHKSS-TC SS316 Drop Shot Hook Keeper Stainless Steel-Titanium Carbide
Tip Top TCPCT06F04.5 or XTCPPCT06R4.5 TICH w/o Chrome Plated 'P' Top 06 TICH Flanged Ring 4.5 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XPTCFCG SS316- TICHw/o Chrome Sgl Ft TICH Zirconium Rg RRD
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCYTCG SS316- TICHw/o Chrome Sgl Ft Y Frame TICH Zirconium THIN Rg-TICH

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XPTCFCG06 4.5"
2nd XPTCFCG06 9.25"
3rd XPTCFCG07 14.25"
4th XPTCFCG08 20"
5th XTCYTCG08 26"
6th XTCYTCG10 33"
7th XTCYTCG16 42"
8th XTCYTCG25 54"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Jamil Snead (---.arc-products.com)
Date: May 24, 2011 05:17PM

That Rainshadow XP902 looks great and is really light! Where can I buy those? I have a buddy visiting this weekend who has a Phenix X12-B and a Lamiglas GFW90-2M, so I'm gonna see how those feel and then make a decision.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2011 07:16PM

Corbinas do not grow big like they used to in So. California. 5 pounders used to be the biggest we got out of the SC surf but now they are more like a 1-1.5 pounders. Assuming that you are using mostly baits as they don't take artificials well. Most blanks used for steelhead fishing is good for corbinas in the surf. I would look at the Lamiglas or Rainshadow as both of these can be found locally to you so that you can try them out. Phenix is nice but way to expensive for the use in the surf. Contact some of the rod builder shops for help in selecting a blank. Turners would be no help as they do not stock any blanks.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: May 24, 2011 08:10PM

Hate to sound like a broken record...and it is a fast action rod....but I have MHX's copy of the HS9000 in a 2 pc mated to a 2500 stradic and think it would be ideal. I have spent some time at the local lake and it will fish 4# and toss ultra light lures for bluegill. On the other hand mudhole recently posted a link to a guy that got a 36# cobia on one so it has the ability to turn a big fish. Very versitale blank.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster