I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Selection for 5'6" Light power rod
Posted by: jacob burlison (---.hsd1.ut.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2011 03:02PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to rod building and plan on building a spinning rod for my little girl's birthday coming up in the end of June. I've got the blank picked out. It's the pink Mudhole blank in a 5'6" Light power fast action. I'm kinda at a stand still with the guides though. I would like to put the Pac Bay minima guides on it, but I'm not sure to go with the match guides or the standard guides and also which sizes to use. I was hoping if any of you could chime in on what's the advantages or disadvantages of the match guides and also help me out on guide sizes.

Thanks,
Jacob Burlison

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Selection for 5'6" Light power rod
Posted by: john backos (170.28.136.---)
Date: May 24, 2011 03:12PM

I just built a spinner on an 8wt fly rod for my daughter to use in a fishing derby. I considered the Pac Bay match guides but ended up with the Mudhole Purple Passion guides instead and I sprinkled glitter in the guide wraps. I figured she would like the bling and the little bit of weight difference wouldn't matter to her. I used the NGC layout and was pressed for time and had to finish the rod without test casting, but it casts a waggler with 3/8oz. of shot as far as my 13 foot match rod.

I would go with the bling.

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: May 24, 2011 03:34PM

I did a pink blank for my daughter in law using the american tackle HHRLA A frame spinning guides.I did a threadless guide but they would look good with a pink thread wrap

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2011 06:06PM

Match guides may not be durable enough for a child's rod. I built that same blank for rods for my kids. I used a double foot spinning size 20 (Batson BVDLG 20), double foot spinning size 12 (BVDLG12), and 3 single foot fly size 6 (BFLG 06), plus tip top. The rods are practically bullet-proof, and still cast nicely.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: May 24, 2011 08:25PM

Thanks eveyone for the replies. A friend of mine is moving over to Japan and dropped off quite a bit of rod building materials. I'm just going to use some of the guides he gave me (Gotta save money, I'm out on a medical from work.) I was wondering if the guide sizing of a 20,12,8,5,5 (possibly another 5) and a tip top of 5 would work or is that too much of a downsizing?

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 24, 2011 09:35PM

I agree with John. The Purple Passion guides are really snazzy on a Pink rod. I have built a bunch of rods on the Pink and Purple blanks from Mud hole. I have also used the Berkley guides from Jan's Netcraft with Chrome frames and Gold ring. I think Mud hole sells the same Berkley
guides.
Guide sizing sounds perfect to me, assuming the # 20 will match the spool size on the reel you use ( half the spool dia.) I think a #5 is the smallest ring size you can get.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: May 24, 2011 10:32PM

Thanks for the info I wasn't aware of the half the spool dia. I'll have to take the calipers to my spool an go from there. Looking through all the guides my friend gave me (which was a lot :) I decided to go with what I believe are the minima guides I was thinking about. I do wish I could afford those purple guides. They would go great with the purple wraps I'm putting on it. Now I just hope she dosen't break it when I'm done with it being she is only turning three, but man she can sure catch fish :)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2011 10:56PM

Jacob,
In addition to the rod that you are building, pick up a "bling" reel.
You can pick un an inexpensive "pink" reel with flashing LEDs on them any time that you spin the reel. I just picked up one recently for a pink rod that I am building for a little girl at the local shop for $20.

I have put this reel with other pink rods that I have made for young ladies and they enjoy the sparkle.

Roger

[www.osprey-tackles.com]

This is the exact reel that I picked up recently for the current rod build.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2011 01:15PM

Jacob,
The guides that you have on hand and suggest that you use for the rod will work just fine for that rod. Not too big, not too little.
Easy to thread and it will catch lots of fish. You are going to be using lighter line on this reel, so there is no need to go with any larger butt guide, and the larger running guides are just fine for little hands to string the line through.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster