I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blank Warranty Issue
Posted by: Phil Muck (---.1.233.64.transedge.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 08:51AM

I have a question regarding a blank I just purchased. I received the blank on Wednesday and I notice what looks like some imperfections in the upper section ferrule area. It’s a two piece light spinning blank. I was concerned about stress fractures over time. I contacted the seller the same day via email and asked to have the blank replaced. I was told that they couldn’t replace the blank as it is a warranty issue and they forwarded my email to the blank manufacture. Am I off base here but I would expect the seller just to replace the blank or is this normal practice. I just wondering what overs have experienced?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Warranty Issue
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 09:00AM

I agree with you, I do feel that they company you purchased from should replace the blank in this situation.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 09:08AM

I think the people YOU bought it from should replace it. The originator (manufacturer / distributor) could not know how it was handled, shipped after it left their hands.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:03AM

The manufacturer is the one to turn to for warranty replacement. They're the ones who offer the warranty, not the dealer.

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:04AM

The manufacturer warrants the product not the seller or distributor. It is the manufaturers responsibility to warrant (either through repair or replacement) the blank.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:20AM

I think you will find it depends on what type of agreement the manufacturer and retailer have regarding the sale of the blanks, we are fortunate that in most cases the retailers take back blanks they sell but some manufacturers insist that all warranty claims be sent to them, and in the end it is the manufacturer is the final word in regards to warranty issues
John

Posted by: Garry Hall (---.desm.qwest.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:23AM

In my full time job I deal with warranty issues often, and most all manufacturers tell you to send the product to them for warranty repair/replacement. Not the retailer. That being said, I would be a little upset if I were you since most rod blank warranties have a replacement fee. In that case I would contact the manufacuter and explain your situation. Best of luck.

Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:25AM

Is it just in the finish or actually into the graphite sheeting. It's some what common to have some chips in the finish where they cut the blank. They cover securely with a nice ferrule wrap. I suspect your retailer has their policy based on this as if they would soon be out of business if they had to return every blank with finish imperfections. Of course, the blank should be returned if the chips are into the graphite core.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 10:27AM by Matt Dotts.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 12:18PM

I agree, in most cases Warranties are a manufacture thing. Have you dealt with this supplier before and are they a sponsor on this site? (ALL I WANT IS A YES OR NO) no names please. Also is it a off shore blank?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 12:23PM

I don't think that any warranty applies to "perceived" flaws that "might" show up after a period of time. He bought something and he is dissatisfied with it and that's the bottom line. The dealer should replace it or offer to refund his money. I fail to see how you can tell the manufacturer that you want his product replaced before you actually use it because you feel like it might fail later on. The manufacturer's warranty is that the product will do what the product was intended to do and that is not the issue here. He hasn't used it yet so he couldn't possibly know if the product will fail after a period of time.
If the dealer won't allow you to return merchandise that you don't like, even if you just changed your mind, then find another dealer!!!!! Enough said.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 12:35PM

If I buy an acme widget from Walmart, and I'm not satisfied with it within a reasonable time period, I return it to Walmart, not the manufacturer.

Date: February 11, 2011 12:42PM

Yes the seller and blank manufacturer are both sponsors. It is a light action 2 piece fresh water blank. I’m not a professional builder but I have built rods since I was 19 and now I am 53. To me it just doesn’t look right. Maybe it is nothing or maybe it is something. But I don’t want to build the rod and find out later that it was a something. It has an imperfection at the area where they cut the blank but it is not a chip, more like it was melted or the resin didn’t adhere to the small area. It is down to the fibers. Also there are some circular lines just above the end that just don’t look right. I will try contacting the manufacturer directly but the seller said they forwarded my email to them and I haven’t heard back. I see it as the seller saying to me – you paid me now you are on you own. Thanks for everyones input

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 12:47PM

Although the manufacturer is the one responsible for warranties on defective product, I thing\k a "good retailer would simply exchange the product that hasn't been used. If nothing else, it's good customer service in a highly competitive business. I think that most of us have returned product to a vendor for many reasons and had no problems.

Although I don't feel that it is the dealers responsibility, I think that it is good customer service and would be rekuctant to deal with someone that didn't.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: February 11, 2011 12:56PM

Where is the so called defect located (bottom of the butt section)?

Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 11, 2011 12:59PM

The butt section of the tip section. The female ferrule area.

Date: February 11, 2011 01:12PM

It sounds like when they trimmed the butt end they did not get it all. If it is the butt end, there should should not be a problem. In the old days when you bought a second you would see this. Check the length, if it is longer than described this would indicate they just did not trim enough off

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 01:13PM

Phil,

There was a time where in most cases the dealer would replace the defective blank, but for many dealers it just became a big headache. Trying to keep stock up and having to return warranty replacements just got out of control. So the usual practice now is to point you in the direction of the manufacturer. You will find that dealing with the manufacturer will in the long run work out better for you.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2011 02:16PM

I don't think this gentleman bought the blank from WalMart so their return policy doesn't apply in this instance.

The manufacturer of the product sets the warranty policy. Not the dealer. If you perceive a flaw in materials or workmanship (which is what most guarantee) then contact the manufacturer of the product and ask them what to do. You might even take a photo of the area in question and shoot that to them to help them guide you in which way to proceed.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 03:06PM

I am sure that a manufacturer has a policy concerning his warrantee that might be different for different sized dealers. I would expect XYZ blank co. would deal differently with Bass Pro Shop than with dirty nichols bait shop. Just my thought.

The buck stops with the manufacturer. Bypass the middleman who in many cases is too small a business to do what you want.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: February 11, 2011 03:50PM

Like everyone else says go to the manufacture for best results

Good Wraps Bob

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster