I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting EVA Grip
Posted by: Larry Hale (---.dsl.eulstx.swbell.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 08:30AM

Getting ready to start my build in a long time. I have an EVA foam grip that I'd like to shorten. Never worked with the stuff before, so I'm asking the experts here for advice.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting EVA Grip
Posted by: Rick Rifendifer (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 08:42AM

I use a miter saw to cut EVA. With a fine tooth blade it cuts like butter with very smooth edges. Just watch you fingers!!

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 08:43AM

I have put mine on a mandrel or drill bit spun the grip to score a nice straight line and then just cut it off using a band saw. But once it is scored nice and square you could use what ever you want to cut it and then just shape with sand paper, just don't use to rough of a paper before you get down to a 600 to 1000 grit or so to leave the same level of smooth finish as the rest of the grip.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 08:46AM

if you have a lathe and a mandrel - just put the grip on it and use a piece of thread as a blade to cut. Gives one of the cleanest, smoothest cuts you will find.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: February 11, 2011 09:52AM

Hello Everyone

Ditto Alex.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: February 11, 2011 09:53AM

Alex Dziengielewski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if you have a lathe and a mandrel - just put the
> grip on it and use a piece of thread as a blade to
> cut. Gives one of the cleanest, smoothest cuts you
> will find.

+1...I use D thread tied on a small hacksaw handle...Cant ask for cleaner cuts!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:07AM

On a lathe, I simply use my Kitsmo knife that I picked up at a sportsmans show years and years ago. It is a thin bladed serrated edged blade that makes quick work of EVA as well as other handle materials. (If you use any type blade, you want one with either very very fine teeth, or a knife with no teeth at all. You want to avoid chunking out pieces of the handle. Also, an abrasive cutting wheel makes smooth quick work of cutting EVA.
Perhaps Alex's suggestion with the use of D thread on the lathe is the best of all, since there is no abrasive cutting with the thread.
Roger

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:55AM

I always just use thread to cut mine, as I don't like any kind of saw blade or aggressive metal getting close to or touching my mandrels

Ron Weber

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 12:49PM

I use thread also while spinning on my lathe. Use caution if trying to hold the thread by hand. Do not wrap the thread around your fingers!

Posted by: Larry Hale (---.dsl.eulstx.swbell.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 01:08PM

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Larry

I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 01:16PM

Ditto on the thread cutting. Put the grip on a blank nice and snug, mark your cut line and go to town. Clean sharp cuts all day long.

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 03:34PM

Larry,
There is a eva cutting tool described in Rodmaker Magazine #13-4 called the Marchisella eva cutting tool that I developed that you can easily make. It is safe, accurate and easy to use. This tool is set up to be used on a Renzetti lathe, but can be adapted to any lathe. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 04:14PM

Bill you have a hidden email! Mine is balcomberods@aol.com could you send me the info on how to build your Marchisella eva cutting cutting tool

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 05:27PM

A length of 15 lb "P"Line works great with the ends wrapped around 2 popsicle sticks. After trying a lot of different threads and lines I found the "P" Line lasts a lot longer than any braided line I have tried.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: February 11, 2011 05:33PM

What I find that works for me is a wire cheese cutter. I remove the roller shaft. I also use it to cut cork

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 05:33PM

if you have a lathe, put it on your lathe and spin it. then take a piece of like c thread and hold it as straight as you can. as the eva is spinning touch it with the thread then slowly pull the thread down. be very very careful when doing this so you dont get your fingers wacked off.
i believe its possible to do this with a vice grip and a razor blade while its spinning

good luck
be careful

Date: February 11, 2011 05:48PM

I forgot to mention I use the cheese cutter while the grip is turning on my lathe at high speed

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2011 03:59PM

Wrap your thread around a couple short pieces of dowell rod to uase as handles. Why take a chance?

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 02:02PM

I actually have mine wrapped on a copeing saw that I removed the blade from, works great, and no mishaps or safety issues.

Ron Weber

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster