I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flex coat rod finish?
Posted by: Tony (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: October 14, 2001 04:45PM

Thanks for your replies on my other 2 questions. I have another on rod finish. Are Flex coat and all other rod wrapping finishes capalble of being used on the threads and guides as the main (glue)?So you don't have to exopy on freshwater fly rods??? Once again any help on the subject is appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flex coat rod finish?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 14, 2001 05:04PM

Tony,

Your question is not really clear. You never have to "glue" the guides to the blank. The thread is used to wrap them to the blank and the epoxy finish, such as Flex Coat , LS Supreme, or whatever specialty wrap finish you use is there to encapsulate the threads and keep everything in place.

You do not need to use any type of glue or adhesive on the guides or wraps. Just the thread, color preserver (if you desire to keep the thread color as it is on the spool), and the wrap finish which in your case appears to be Flex Coat. That's all you need. Just remember that there is a difference between Flex Coat rod building epoxy which is intended for assembling handles and grips, and Flex Coat epoxy wrap finish which is what you want for coating the wrapping threads.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2001 09:20PM

Tony might be confused with some article stating that a thin layer of hot glue can be used to hold the guide in place while wrapping the guide. Fuji makes a white glue stick that comes in a red plastic container ala lipstick. When I started building rods, Roger Seiders, owner of Flex Coat gave me some intructions one night at his home. I noticed that he was not taping his guides to the blank. He showed me how by applying a very thin coat of the Fuji hot glue to the underside of the guide feet held them in place while wrapping. I've used this practice ever since. You do have to make sure that the guide is perfectly aligned before wrapping. I have since replaced the guides on some of my rods that are twenty years old and have found that the guide was still well i place due to the glue. I don't recommend this method to everyone but it has worked for me since I don't like to use tape to hold the guides and rubber bands are too much of a hassle.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: October 15, 2001 04:17AM

I just use small rubber bands cut from surgical tubing to hold my guides inplace. besides I would think if you glued the guides on to the blank it would be hard re-adjust them after wraping

Posted by: Gadwall8 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: October 15, 2001 06:50AM

I use elastic thread from the fabric store to hold guides while wrapping. Works for me.

gadwall

Posted by: Greg (---.fmr.com)
Date: October 15, 2001 08:51AM

Maybe I read too much into the original message, but the guides on a fly rod are the same as any other rod... thread holding the guides firmly in place then topped with rod finish.

Greg
[ReelsAndEels.com]

Posted by: Dave (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2001 04:15PM

I am with Ellis on this subject. I like to use the guide foot adhesive as well. It seems to hold the foot in place so once they are all attached go to town wrapping. No worries about the guides shifting or moving. I also like it because it seems to me that it will keep the guides from scoring the blank. When I grind down the feet to insure a nice smooth wrap over the base of the foot it becomes a little sharp and a little protection under this can't hurt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster