I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions on EPOXY
Posted by: Ricardo (---.fm.intel.com)
Date: June 25, 2001 02:05PM

Rod builders

I am a beginner on rod building matters, I have built a few for my personal use and have some experience with epoxy adhesives.
I have been learning more about epoxies from posts on the Guild and Rodbuilding websites for over 6 months and have read all the posts related to the subject.

Here are my questions:

1) When mention is made to using alcohol for cleaning epoxy...what type of alcohol is used? Pure alcohol used in labs, or common alcohol (70%) found everywhere?
2) Alcohol vs. Acetone:
Which is best?
Which is more environmentally safe?
Which are the most important precautionary measures handling each one (other than flammable ones)?

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions on EPOXY
Posted by: Jojo (---.dial-up.ipa.net)
Date: June 25, 2001 09:10PM

Hola Ricardo,

Plain white vinegar works extremely well for cleaning uncured epoxy. It also will soften, to a small degree, freshly cured epoxy. Make sure to wear nitrile gloves when solvating any epoxy.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: June 26, 2001 03:18AM

Ricardo
When it comes to alcohol vs acetone, alcohol is the winner. As a general rule of thumb -- never, repeat NEVER use acetone on a fishing rod. The combination of physical rubbing and acetone can ruin a rod. Acetone will actualy leach out the cured resins holding the rod together. Because acetone evaporates so rapidly, folks seem to think that no damage is being done, but carefully controlled research testing reveals damage to a rod whenever acetone is applied to the resins binding the rod together -- be it Polyester or Epoxy. The finishes on most rods will resist the acetone to a certain degree, but cleaning ie. rubbing can damage the exterior finish and allow the acetone to contact the underlying resins and the damage is done.

You have your choice in alcohols between the easily obtainable IPO alcohols, which are the common rubbing alcohols in either 70% or 90% concentration -- or the Denatured alcohols easily obtained in any hardware store. The denatured (DNA) alcohols have a bit more diluent properties so I personally use them exclusively, but either one will do the job. The important thing to make a practise of when using alcohols -- or any solvent -- for cleaning is, Never allow your solvent to dry on the part being cleaned. ALWAYS wipe the area dry.

For most cleaning jobs, solvents are far over rated, and more often than not do more damage than good. The usage of Scotchbrite abrasives can do a far better job of preparing a surface for bonding or painting than can any of the solvents. Use Scotchbrite type-S-7448 grey, ultra fine. Some surfaces are best wiped with alcohol then follow with a scotchbrite abrade for optimum conditions.

Ralph

Posted by: Ricardo (---.fm.intel.com)
Date: June 26, 2001 08:11AM

Thanks for the comments

BIG CAUTION!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.43.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: June 26, 2001 10:15PM

Some cans/containers of alcohol and acetone are colored and/or marked the same!

Store them in separate places to avoid bad juju injuries!!!!!

Re: BIG CAUTION!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.131.usr.olynet.com)
Date: July 11, 2001 12:51AM

I agree with Dick and Ralph about using acetone.. For a experment put a broken peace of rod in actone anr 1 in alcohol and 1 in acetone for a few minutesYou well besurprised at what happens

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster