I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

American Tackle Power Wrapper Opinions Wanted
Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 31, 2010 09:19AM

Hey All,
I've decided to invest in an power wrapper and need some opinions. I've been looking at the AT power wrapper do to increased need for time and productivity. Also looking at a quad dryer by Rodsmith, I believe. Can some of you give me your opinions and who on the left might sell them. Don't want to go through the big box stores.
Thanks,
Jeff

P.S. Have a fun & Safe New Years Eve, they won't let you wrap from a hospital bed or jail...... :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: American Tackle Power Wrapper Opinions Wanted
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2010 11:52AM

Jeff,
I assume that you are speaking of this wrapper?
[www.americantackle.us]

This wrapper, like most of the wrappers on the market will do a good job of wrapping. It has a nice 8 foot base, with a dual drive motor, so that you can use either the wrapper motor, or the dryer motor on the same bed.
Unless you are going to use the wrapper for handle work, you really don't need a motor speed of anything greater than about 1000 rpm.
The rod rests are of good quality, rubber coated, and will do a good job of holding the rods.
The 3-jaw chuck is the one that has been around for a long time, and is adequate, but there are better chucks on the market. You may find that you want to put binders around the chuck jaws on this chuck, to keep the rod in place as you wrap.

If you are going to be doing quite a few rods, the use of a dryer that can handle more than one rod is a good idea. The use of the quad dryer with 4 motors and stands will work fine, but if you are into bigger production, then the use of a drum dryer, where you can dry a dozen rods at one time with a single motor is an even better idea.

Although the motor on the American tackle dryer is fine, and the speed control adequate - very similar to other wrappers on the market - it is nice to have even better bottom end control, as well as the ease of easy wrapper reverse. These options are easily accomplished with a dc gear motor drive system and controller. As far as I know there aren't any commercial makers on the market that offer this motor option.
But, i do have details on how to make such a motor and drive system and if you want that information, I can mail that information to you at
hflier@comcast.net

Although the steady rod rests are fine on this wrapper, you might check out some of the other brand wrappers to see if you can find a wrapper that uses a cantilivered style rod rest. This is a rod rest which has a base, a single post going up the back of the base, and then a pair of bars that extend out from the back of the base which support the rod. The advantage of this style steady rest is the ability of a user to have ones hands under the steady rest. This feature is very nice when working with light action rods, especially those with light tips. One can have the steady rest quite close to the guide being wrapped, and one can have his hands under the steady rest as one is wrapping.

The nicest ones of this style will have a slot in the back post with the ability of the lower bar to slide vertically to allow for vertical adjustment of the rollers and to keep the rod level. Of course it always nice to have rubber rollers to cushion the rod when wrapping.

Some of the wrappers use the upgraded chuck which is a notch better than the standard chuck that comes on the american tackle wrapper. This chuck generally works all right to hold the rods. However, some folks find that they still have to make some slight mods to the wrapper to insure that the rod stays in the chuck.

Another option used by some of the wrappers is to use a commercial head stock from a commercial lathe, i.e. the Taig Lathe, with a 3/4X16 headstock shaft and the use of a commercial machinest 3-jaw chuck using the solf aluminum jaws. This style chuck has been used for many years by many of the upper end shops and is a very good long term investment in a wrapper.

So, lots of options out there, and it is up to you to decide on what works best for you.

You can also check out some of the wrappers and wrapper components that have been built by users of the forum in the picture section of the forum. Just do a search on rod wrappers and or steady rests to check out some of the other options.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2010 12:16PM

If you do decide on the AT or PacBay wrappers I would suggest that you also buy the ALPS chuck. This is a simple bolt-on lathe-type chuck that installs very easily and solves all the problems of "adaptation" and is reasonably priced.

Posted by: Isaiah Bumagat (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2010 12:56PM

I second the APLS chuck addition...

Date: December 31, 2010 02:25PM

Thanks Guys, I've found myself in kind of a bind for time and production quantity. I started out building rods for myself and friends...then it happened... I started with a few custom rods for PAYING customers. Word seems to have spread quickly and the biggest advantage is that "I think", the people that bought the rods I built started showing them around and I just can't keep up any more. I'm up all hours of the night moving rods off the dryer after the epoxy is cured enough not to sag or cause problems... the throw another one on and let the first one finish curing in a corner..:) They really seem to love the rattlesnake inlays and I can't blame them.
Plus, I use to work at a local tackle shop and got hired today to do their rod repair, so I'll be doing that from home and have need of the quad dryer. It just wouldn't work wrapping one guide and then waiting hours for it to dry to epoxy another one. Don't think I'll need a drum dryer, but thanks for the thought. I'd have never thought of that option. Think I will go with the chuck upgrade, I won't need it for turning cork or anything, but after I get caught up and the bank account gets healthier I'll upgrade.... :)
Thanks for all the imput.
Jeff

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2010 02:43PM

I will third that. The one on theres if it is the one I am thinking of - I would not use it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 31, 2010 02:48PM

I have to say Pac Bay has the most comprehensive line up of wrapper & accessories, along with multiple rod dryers. I use the Pac Bay wrapper with their upgraded chuck, and it works great. The Pac Bay wrapper has the nicest and smoothest following thread carriage on this style wrapper - I have tried the others and there is no comparison.

Good Luck,

Marc

Date: December 31, 2010 03:58PM

Some additinal help is needed from the vast knowledge here... I have ordered the dryer and want to order the AT wrapper next week. My problem is: I can't find anyone who sells the wrapper only. Since I've purchased the dryer, I don't need the "extra" dryer that is included in the price. If nothing else, I guess I could buy the combo and resell the seperate dryer that comes with it.
Hope someone can help, times are hard, but getting better!
Thanks,
Jeff

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: December 31, 2010 08:57PM

Jeff Mudhole sells just the wrapper.Its on sale too.Are you referring to the ''extra" dryer that is built into the wrapper?If so it is a standard part of all AT wrappers.Its just a motor that is mounted on the headstock area and is actually p-art of the standard wrapper.Not a separate piece as such.

Date: January 01, 2011 06:48AM

Bruce: I've looked at the ones on Mudhole and I think they are Pac Bay. The AT I've been looking at have the drying motor on the wrapper, but comes with a "stand alone" dryer motor and support.
Jeff

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 09:12AM

Mudhole does sell AT wrappers without the separate stand alone dryer, below is the model I have.

Model No: PBWD-COMBO15 is the pn with the upgraded chuck, which is a must have in IMO

Ron Weber

Posted by: John Straight (---.netsync.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 08:32PM

I use PacBay's quad dryer and love it. Very rarely do I build more than one rod at a time, but it's great to dry individual rod sections.

John

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Date: January 01, 2011 10:12PM

Ron, thanks for the Model Number. I'm going to go with just the wrapper and get the chuck upgrade when I can.
Thanks all.
Jeff

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 01, 2011 10:24PM

Jeff! Not a problem, always glad to help out if I can, as well as are a lot of other fine folks on this forum.

Ron Weber

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster