I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread color
Posted by: Dan E (---.tnt15.atl2.da.uu.net)
Date: October 11, 2001 06:27PM

Anybody find a real good combination of thread colors to go on the Sage XP blanks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread color
Posted by: Alberto (---.cordoba.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: October 11, 2001 07:19PM

Yes , i like medium green on it !

Was it useful for you ? Re: thread color
Date: October 12, 2001 06:50PM

Was it useful for you ? What colors have you been using till now ?
SHARE !
THANKS !

Re: Was it useful for you ? Re: thread color
Posted by: dan (---.tnt4.rdu1.da.uu.net)
Date: October 12, 2001 10:35PM

Still debating. I like the idea of green with a gold trim, but that is also what the factory likes. I was wondering what a good contrast color might be, but the green is so deep I don't know if you could get away with it.

Still debating. Re: Was it useful for you ? Re: thread color
Date: October 12, 2001 11:36PM

Yes, well, if not green , then ... Charcoal !? I wrapped one like that ! looks old , but stylish.-

color bleedthrough
Posted by: Gary Jones (4.23.70.---)
Date: October 13, 2001 12:59AM

Are there some colors of thread that shouldn't be used on G-Loomis flat black blanks? I have had a bleedthrough effect from the blank using red and again on light blue thread. I use color sealer,2 or 3 coats. The bleedthrough darkens the thread considerably. Is there something I can do to the blank to stop this? Thanks for your help.

Re: color bleedthrough
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: October 13, 2001 09:48AM

I read elsewhere on a Perigee, Green & Purple trim looks good. Wrap up a test stick & play with color combos & see what it is you like.

Posted by: Gary Jones (4.23.70.---)
Date: October 13, 2001 01:59PM

Thanks Billy. I recently delivered a 9ft 6wt Perigee to a customer. He selected Trimar Green/Gold thread (5896G) and he is very happy with it. It sure is colorful. I haven't used Trimar as toe only thread before but it seemed to work well. Gary ( I may build one like it for myself.)

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: October 13, 2001 06:23PM

Black with silver trim is alway classy. Especially if you use chrome guides and nickle seat.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 13, 2001 10:09PM

I'll throw in a cent or two here. First, the green will always look good on a green blank also with Perigee and SCV St. Croix legend.
You may also consider the choice based on the guide type and color. Such as whether using the chrome or tich snake guides compared to the new titanium framed/gold ring single foot guides.

Also, a consideration is with the use of silk threads and the range of greens, even some classy light green subtle metalic silk as trim. The richness of these show through beautifully.
In nylon thread A gudebrod the spring green after color preserver goes well.

As Billy mentioned the purple (silk) highlights with the perigee are a good thing we've tried before, not sure about going on Sage but worth a trial on test blank. After color preserver the color would go fairly flat and dark. When using any trim band for fly rods go subtle with a single or very narrow tight band. The gold would probably get my nod, but depends again on the color of the guides.

Just play around a bit, some of the 'odd' ideas may not appear nearly as expected and quite pleasing to a one of a kind custom rod. Just because the factory decides on their particular match, does not mean we can't come up with something unique and still pleasing overall. Trick is to keep it simple and blending, rather than going for any sharp contrasts.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: October 16, 2001 01:43PM

how about green and copper? I built some st croix scIV's that looked good with this combo.. or a nice dark brown

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster